Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Failing as a parent? long vent

I'm a SAHM to my 27 month old DD. I am currently expecting DD#2 in June. Emma is a strange child. She's typically happy, but has never warmed up to other people, even people she sees often. She won't warm up to our parents, granted she doesn't see them that often. She seems afraid of other children and backs away from them. I take her to The Little Gym weekly and instead of getting better at socializing and risk taking, she seems to be getting worse, lately all she does is cling to me during class. At the park, she won't go near anything with other children on it. Eating wise, she's awful. She was a picky eater to begin with, but since her last fever around 2 weeks ago, she barely eats anything, she wants Ellio's pizza and Cheerios everyday. She won't try anything new, she refuses to drink milk from a cup and since I took the bottle away, won't drink milk at all now. I made her toast the other day and I swear she looked afraid of it. I am at the end of my rope, I keep trying to give her other foods, but it usually ends up eaten by me(like I need more calories right now) or thrown away(I hate wasting food). I feel like the worst mother ever. I'm trying to put on a brave face in front of her(my husband will yell at her) when she refuses food. I just don't know what else to do. Hearing that it's a phase may be the truth, it's just no consolation. I'm sure many of you agree with that last part. Thanks for listening. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Failing as a parent? long vent

• Options

I would hardly say you are a terrible momma! As much as I know you hate to hear it, it really does sound like she is just going through a phase in her life, and also is most likely acutely aware that there is another baby on the way. My oldest is 29 mo

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options

You are NOT a terrible mother.  If your daughter is a strange child, then ALL toddlers are strange... honestly.  My daughter is growing out of it now, but she definitely was reserved with strangers, preferring me over kids.  If I would h

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You aren't a bad mom!!  But your husband needs to step back on the yelling - yelling at a kid isn't going to get her to eat and if anything will make it worse.

Toddler just don't eat sometimes - the harder you push, the more they'll refuse!

• Options
    Write down all her little quirks and call the pedi.  She might have some sensory issues.  I understand feeling like a failure.  I thought I was the worst parent ever.  Then as DS2 started to get older I realized he was different. &nbsp
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks all. I do tell my husband not to yell at her about the eating, but he doesn't listen either, I take her to playdates and out with others often, but it doesn't seem to do any good, Granted this winter was awful and a giant step back. I guess I'm jus
  • Options

I'd definitely bring up all of those things with your pediatrician.  It never hurts to see what a professional thinks.  Like pp said, there may some sensory issues going on.  Hang in there!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've thought about the sensory issues, but the eating thing is pretty new. Yes, she was a picky eater before, but not it's much much worse. 
  • Options
    Have you talked to her doctor? I wouldn't know what to do in that situation either so it makes sense that you're feeling lost. 
  • Options
    I was actually thinking about bringing her in next week. I was just hoping that this would pass. Happy Easter all
  • Options

I think definitely talk to your doctor since you are concerned, but to me she seems like a typical toddler.  My DD is the same age and goes through phases with food-asking for certain things everyday for a few weeks and then getting sick of them a

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    She was liking the Little Gym, but the past few months she hasn't. It's not a big class, it's only 6-8 kids on a given week. She was only eating Ellio's pizza, now we're down to Cheerios. I'm just tired at this point. 
  • Options
    imagelogoz80:
    I've thought about the sensory issues, but the eating thing is pretty new. Yes, she was a picky eater before, but not it's
  • Options
    This was my dd last year at 2.5. It was horrible, I felt isolated because she never warmed up at play dates. I felt judged it was horrible. I put her in a Mother's Day out program to help. I felt I was her crutch as long as she could hide behind me she wa
  • Options

imagelogoz80:
    I've thought about the sensory issues, but the eating thing is pretty new. Yes, she was a picky eater before, but not
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageEmilia0101:
    This was my dd last year at 2.5. It was horrible, I felt isolated because she never warmed up at play dates. I fel
  • Options
    I actually had her evaluated back in November for early intervention and brought this up to them because she was not and still isn't a good speaker. She is improving with speech, but at the time they told me not to worry about the picky eating, it's just
  • Options

You are not at all failing.  My 2.5 year old has been a bit of a loner at times, and she goes to daycare full time.  Only recently has she started warming up to other kids, and seeking out interactions with them.  For food as well my dau

• Options
    I agree with others that you should def talk to your pedi.  Just wanted to offer one suggestion about the lack of drinking milk- have you tried milk boxes?  My DD loves anything in a box with a straw.  Doesn't matter if its milk or juice.&n
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried and even tried the Pediasure boxes, but if it's not the Sesame Street ones that she likes, she won't even touch it. I took her to the pediatrician and he drew all sorts of blood work. He doesn't think it's sensory issues and put her on Prevacid th
  • Options
    Any way you can find a program where you can drop her off with a small group of kids and a caring, sensitive adult who is not you?  My dd is shy when I am around - but when I drop her off at her home daycare for a few hours a week, she loves it and p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"