Working Moms
Options

If you put your baby in daycare

How often were they sick?  

DD was at DC for 2 weeks before being out sick for a week.  She went one more week and then today- Friday I got a call that 2 babies went home with hand, foot, mouth disease, so I'm expecting her to be sick again in a few more days.  

Re: If you put your baby in daycare

• Options
    A lot at first, but it gets better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It seems like a lot. We actually got through Jan & Feb missing only one day. March has been rough though, 4 days home, plus some times when I got sick.

Pretty sure LO got sick within the first week he started daycare. So far we've dealt with

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is rough in the beginning. But it does get better!
  • Options
    It took 3 months for LO to be sent home, she started at 10 weeks. It was HFM so obviously that spreads like wild fire. In over a year that she has been there she has only been sent home two other times. Once was they thought she had pink eye, but it was j
  • Options
    1st yr is rough while baby is building his/her immunities.  2nd yr you will see a huge difference.  Also, summer is approaching and it should get better.
  • Options
    A lot! It settled down though.
    ~Drew '13~Camden '12~Mihaila '10~Aaliyah '09~Noah '07~

• Options
    We started her at 5 months this past December and she maybe made it two full weeks for the first three months. It was so rough but has been much better the past few weeks.
  • Options
    DS started in Oct and has had an ear infection, pink eye, and various colds.  Has been sent home for the pink eye (which coincided with a bad cold with a temp) and was out two weeks.  DH and I have had every cold imaginable this year.  The
    TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
    Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
    7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
    beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
    7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My daughter has been in daycare since she was 11 weeks old (she's now 18 months) and she's only had to stay home sick one day.  I guess she just built up her immune system quickly.   not to say she hasn't had the runny nose on and off her who

• Options

When my DD was in day care, i swear she was ALWAYS sick. With DS he just has the normal teething issues and really is never sick.  I think it depends on the facilty and amount of children. DS is only with 2-3 other babies while dd was with a bunch

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I have been lucky, DD has not been to the pedi for anything other than a well-check.  I have choosen to stay home with her is she had a cold or something but never anything that she "had" to leave DC for.
  • Options
    With DD2, for the first 4 months or so, she had a cold (nothing serious, stuffy/runny nose and sometimes a low fever) at least once a month. It's gotten better, and from my experience with DD1, after the first year, their immune system is crazy strong.
  • Options
    •  My pedi days 6-8 for home kept babies in 1st year and 10-12 for daycare. 
    • Options
      He got hand, foot, and mouth and missed a couple days. Other than that, a constant runny nose most of the winter, but it's been better since he turned one.
    • Options
      Mine started at 5 months. By her 2nd birthday she had been sick so many times I lost count. I used all my sick days and almost all my vacation time staying home with her when Grandma couldn't keep her.  This winter since she has turned 2 sh

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

LO started daycare at 18m, he's had a cold/runny nose/minor cough since the end of the first week. That was 7 weeks ago. Prior to this, he was with me/H or babysitter and had been sick 2x total, once with a fever, but each less than 48hrs. It's been a

imageimage
    • Options

Hand, foot, and mouth was more of an inconvenience than a disease for us.  My then 1.5 year old got it, and all it is was one little pimple on her hand and in her mouth.  No fever, no change in appetite, no diarrhea, nothing.  She was pe

• Options
      I'm still in my first year with Lillian, she started at 16 weeks. She's sick a lot. The last month has been real bad and I've gotten sick three times myself since January. I am hanging in there, like the ladies said the first year/winter can be bad. It st

Lillian April 17, 2012
    • Options

Luckily DD just got colds her first year in daycare.  She got lots of them and it was tough, but she could still go to DC.  This year she's had a fever and ear infection and one stomach bug, but the colds haven't been as bad. 

I f

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    • Options
      My old pedi said to expect to be sick (parents included lol) about every six weeks for the first year though summer is usually not that bad...I would say that was about right for us on average bc some months it was a little more and some less. It is rough
    • Options
      A bunch the first year, then hardly ever after that.
      "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
    • Options
      It's a lot the first year.  My daughter was sick a bunch up until about 18 months.  But mostly because she got RSV at 1, and had wheezing everytime she had a cold.  But now that she's almost 3.5, this school year (I'm a teacher),
      image @wa_tracy image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      My Ovulation Chart
    • Options
      So much that we finally pulled him out of dc.  He was constantly sick.  When he was nearly hospitalized for pneumonia, we called it quits.  He stays home with DHs aunt and hasn't been sick since out of dc.  He does go to romp n roll an
    • Options

My pedi said that on average, kids get sick 10-12 times in their first year. That number doubles if they are in daycare. I did not believe him at all, but it is true.

She got RSV the first week she started daycare, got HFMD a few months later, ro

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
      BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
      BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
      BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
      BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
      BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
      BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
    • Options
      The first year a lot, but now in her third year, she hardly ever gets sick. My youngest is now sick a lot. Ugh!

This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "