January 2013 Moms
Options

Who purchased your child's baptism outfit?

Hi ladies,

Hubby and I are having our son baptized on the 20th in the Catholic Church. My husband is Catholic however he does no practice his faith or fellowship. We chose his little 16 year sister as the Godmother and have yet to pick a Godfather. I'm Baptist so he'll have a baby dedication at my church on the 21st.

Initially our son was supposed to wear my husbands baptism outfit however after seeing it wouldn't fit we went ahead and picked out and purchased an outfit and shoes that we both liked. Just yesterday my mother in law sends me a message saying "we picked out Christopher's baptism outfit. He's gonna look sharp!" I then informed her that we already purchased his outfit since the first outfit wouldn't fit. Her response was "dang it already shipped. The Godparents buy the outfit if that makes a difference." My take on it is if this is tradition then why was something said? Im not Catholic and my husband doesnt practice so how the heck i supposed to know these things! The outfit we purchased is set to arrive tomorrow and I want him to wear what we picked out!! This will probably be our only child and I've looked forward to these types of events! Not to mention my mother in law picked out my husbands baptism outfit!!!

Re: Who purchased your child's baptism outfit?

• Options
    I am Catholic and I have never heard of that tradition before. Usually babies either wear a family gown or the parents buy one in my experience.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm Catholic and my DD wore my baptism outfit.  I have never heard of the Godparents buying the outfit but could be something we don't do around here.  Can he wear the outfit his parents picked out to the baptism and the one you bought for the d
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've already picked out the outfit for his dedication. Since my husbands outfit couldn't fit our son I showed him some websites that offer baptism outfits and he picked out the one he liked and I agreed then purchased it.

• Options

imageemja0214:
    I am Catholic and I have never heard of that tradition before. Usually babies either wear a family gown or the paren

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

DS wore DH's baptism gown...if he didn't wear that we were going to buy him one. 

I think your MIL was just trying to be helpful, if you are not involved in the church she might have just assumed you wouldn't know what to get. It's really no

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options

I'm Catholic and have baptized 3 of my nieces and nephews. I've never once purchased their outfit. In my circle, it is customary for the God parents to make a donation to the church in baby's name. I've also purchased crosses or other religious gifts..

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    i've heard that the godmother is the one to buy the gown for the baby....and i'm not catholic...i don't think my cousin knows that tho, and i don't expect her to buy one...we will hopefully use my old one, or my niece's gown....not sure if they will fit..

• Options
    You're right! It's. it a big deal but I've already told her we picked out an outfit. I don't think it's registering.

• Options
    I'm Catholic too and have never heard of Godparents buying the baptisimal outfit. DD was baptised Easter Sunday and wore a gown that has been worn by all of my family members. She was the fifth generation baptised in it.
    Another note, the Godparent
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    imageemja0214:
    I am Catholic and I have never heard of that tradition before. Usually babies either wear a family gown or the parents bu

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    I'm Catholic and have never heard of that tradition either. My parents picked out my christening outfit.

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Options
    imageemja0214:
    I am Catholic and I have never heard of that tradition before. Usually babies either wear a family gown or the parents bu
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In my family, the Godmothers gift a christening outfit to their Godchild. This may be an Italian Catholic thing (although some of my Irish friends also find that customary); it may also depend on your circle. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer
  • Options
    We are Catholic and both of my DS's godmothers purchased their outfits. Well, like you, my younger sister is DS1's godmother and my mom actually paid for the outfit, but they picked it out together.

It's traditionally been that the godparen
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm catholic too. My son is being baptized this Sunday, and I've never heard of this. My mom was kind to buy DS's. but she did not have to. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

I was raised Catholic and have never heard of that tradition.  Although I wouldn't care what my child wore to a baptism in a church of a faith that I didn't believe in.  Then again I wouldn't baptize my child in the Catholic church unless I p

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    I agree with you. Do you think she might be saying whatever she has to to get you to let him wear the one she got? It sounds like something my MIL might do. She told me once that pecans weren't nuts when she asked if I wanted pecan pie and i told her I di

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    I've heard this being done before. But we just got our own. Little mans god parents are both in school still and paying off loans and etc... Less money they have to spend
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm Catholic and I don't think it's necessarily a tradition for the God parents to buy the outfit. They usually do get something special for the baby - if not the outfit then a piece of jewelry or something like that.  I picked out an outfit for my s

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Falling in Love!  November 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"