Natural Birth
Options

severely anemic

After Cameron's birth I hemorhaged pretty badly. A MW in my OB's practice recommended floridix sp which I have been taking for a week, she also gave me a list of high iron foods which I have been using. I have been trying to include venison in at least 1 meal every day since it is the highest meat source of iron. I've pretty much been on bedrest except for bathroom food and shower. When I left the hospital my hemoglbin level was 6.6. Has anyone dealt with a level this low and how long did it take for you to feel back to normal? I feel okay unless I start trying to do more than 30 minutes of activity every few hours and then I'm ready for a nap. Did you do anything else relating to diet, rest or supplements?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: severely anemic

• Options

I've been vegan for 7 years and continued to be throughout my pregnancy (LO is now 5 months old). My MW and nurses seemed to expect me to be anemic because of that but my blood tests were always awesome. I attribute it to daily strong infusions of nett

• Options
    Also, try cooking your food in cast iron. It's especially good to add vitamin c rich food into the skillet with your iron source, so like dark meat turkey or beef with tomatoes. It'll help increase your absorption of the iron. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If you are not a vegetarian, I would recommend using a heme iron, the brand name of which is proferrin. Another option is carbonyl iron. Neither of these will constipate you as ferrous sulfate or ferrous gluconate (which is what's in the floradix) can

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"