Breastfeeding
Options

Nine weeks and finally nursing?

What do you guys think: My little guy hasn't nursed since we were in hospital. He latched immediately after I woke up from an emergency csection where I had general anesthesia. Unfortunately he lost 17 percent of his weight and they put him in NICU with an iv and force fed him formula for four days. After that he would scream like he was being tortured whenever I tried. My milk was slow to come in most likely because of the meds. The lc said it was also his mouth shape. We tried for two weeks but I had to just start pumping because it broke my heart to hear him screeching and see him shaking like he did. As of two weeks ago he was exclusively pumped breast milk fed. He went from 8 lbs at birth to 12 lbs 8 oz at his 2 mos appt. Then yesterday happened... I was pumping and he was laying on my lap on his back just kind of dozing. I leaned forward to detach my left breast and he reached up and latched onto my right! Wait, what?! How is this possible? I was told his high palate and tongue tie was keeping him from latching?! He would violently refuse to feed. Well, he's trying! It's not pretty and hurts like hell, but he's getting milk and has been seeking my chest out all day. He even refused the bottle this morning and when I popped out a boob he was all over it! We need major practice though. It seems to work best if I've pumped a while otherwise he chokes and nearly drowns. Also he latches onto the nipple, no areola. Any tips ladies? I want to get him to latch better but he's used to bottles. And how do I keep him from drowning? Should I keep pumping then trying? It's a lot of work to pump and even harder to pump then feed a hungry baby. Any help would be awesome!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nine weeks and finally nursing?

• Options
    Yes
    imagemrssqueegy:
    I would find an IBCLC ASAP and get he
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemrssqueegy:
    I would find an IBCLC ASAP and get her to help you with latching.  It is completely possible to get him back to
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrssqueegy:
    I would find an IBCLC ASAP and get her to help you with latching.  It is completely possible to get him back to
  • Options

A lot of insurances are now covering some lactation help. I'd check with insurance to see about that.

I know at the hospital I delivered at, we get one free LC visit, so I'd call and see what kind of supports the hospital has as well. Or att

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Google laid back nursing and watch the video. It might help LO get a deeper latch and allow gravity to slow the flow so he doesn't drown.
    Our hospital had a bf support group that was free. Call around and see if you can find one of those.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Check your pedi office for a lc. Mine has at least 2 at each location. Its just a nurse visit to see them which isn't usually too much.
    BTW thanks for posting this. It gives me hope that DS2 will someday latch on and nurse.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"