December 2012 Moms

need help with short naps

For the last 3 weeks DS has been taking super short naps, usually only 30 minutes long.  As a result, DS has been waking up crying and is usually fussy for most of the day.  It's been stressful for me because I feel like most of my days consist of getting him down for a nap because he's overtired.  

I must mention that he'll sleep for 30 minutes regardless of whether I'm holding him, he's in the swing, in the car, or in bed.  Also, swaddling, merlin's sleepsuit, white noise, no noise, music....nothing makes a difference at this point.  What to do?!

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to extend his nap time?  Is it just a phase he's going through?

I'd be fine letting him taking short naps if it didn't adversely affect him or make him overtired. 

Thanks in advance for any input you have. 

Re: need help with short naps

• My DD is the same way.  Unfortunately I don't have any advice since I am in the same boat.  Luckily, mine does sleep through the night though, so at least we've got that going for us, but daytime is exhausting!
  • Same thing here. She has been napping for 30 minutes to an hour 5 times a day for the last month. DD is only ever awake for an hour before she gets fussy and I put her down again.
    I'm hoping its just a phase!
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here!! DS sleeps great at night but has been taking 3-4, 30-45 minute naps for about a month now!! Since it's getting nicer out I have taken him for a walk the past couple days and after the fresh air he's usually zonked for an hour - sometimes mo

photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try doing more stimulating things during wakeful times. Also we just started using a binky and thats helping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Another 30 minute napper here! He used to go 2 hours every time. The swing usually buys us a longer one, but I sometimes worry about him being too dependent on it. I have to assume it's a phase, as with most things these LOs do.
  • I really don't think there is a whole lot you can do.  My two older children were the same way until they transitioned to only two naps a day but that wasn't until they were 6-7 months old.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"