December 2010 Moms
Options

Allergies

I've mentioned this before in posts and never asked a direct question (I don't think I did anyway) but now I'm just wondering if anyone can help me.

We used to have 2 dogs when Griff was born so he basically grew up with them.  My parents (who have 2 dogs and a cat of their own) took one of my dogs and my inlaws took the other while we were trying to sell our house (Griff was maybe around 17 months old).  The plan was for them to keep the dogs until Bishop was out of the newborn phase.

So Griff was away from the dogs for a few months and now whenever we go to my parents house or my inlaws, he has allergies (red, watery, itchy eyes, runny nose) to the dogs.  At my inlaws where its just one dog, if he doesn't touch her then hes usually ok.  At my parents though, even if he doesn't touch the dogs or cat, he still gets red swollen eyes.

Today my mom cleaned her house extremely well and made sure Griff didn't touch the dogs, yet his eyes started to water after an hour of being there.  Shes a little upset with the situation and I'm frustrated too.  It would suck to never be able to visit them at their house anymore.  And I really want my dogs back but I don't want to risk Griffs health.  Its just so odd to me that allergies would start now since he was with the dogs 24/7 for the first 17 months of his life.

DH totally forgot to ask the pedi at Gs 2 year check up.  We have an appointment with the allergist in May but I just wanted to know if anyone here had any advice or suggestions or dealt with something like this before.

TIA 

Re: Allergies

• Options

Could it actually be the cat?  People tend to be more likely to have severe allergies to cats than dogs in my experience.  I can't even walk into a house that has a cat.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wondering if it might be cat as well.  My son went to my grandma's house - and he had hives on his face by the time we left because of her indoor cats.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also thinking it might be the cat.  C's allergic to cats apparently (according the blood tests) but we don't really know anyone that has one.  Does G still have an egg allergy?  If so, and if you have to see the doctor for it, you can ask t
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My money is on the cat too...my H is so allergic to cats that he cannot even be in a house with a cat, whether it's been cleaned or not. He is sensitive to dogs with fur, but not to the point of cats. He will just become minorly irritated in his face. His
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    Other posters may have hit the nail on the head on this one. I also wanted to chime in with something else. My only experience with allergies is my own, and I can tell you that I am allergic to anything with fur, but I have cats. And I do just fine as l

• Options

imageletranger:
    My first thought is more likely the cat! Then the dog. Also what do they bathe them with.
    </p
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have an answer for you but I came on to ask a question about allergies and then saw your post. I got a little confused at first!
  • Options

Ditto PPs.  I bet it's the cat.  I'm allergic to cats and it's pretty bad.  In HS, my friend's mom had a couple of cats . Every time I went to his house, my eyes would get all red and itchy and my nose would get all runny.  His mom

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member

I'd bet cat too.  My DH grew up in a house with a dog and many cats and seemed to be okay.   After he moved out, he discovered that when he goes back to visit he has to take allergy meds or breaks outside.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

At one point I thought it might be the cat but he gets allergies at my inlaws (no cats there) too...but thats only if he actually touches the dog.  I didn't realize you could be more sensitive to one or the other pet.  Hmm...it very well coul

• Options

imageJoJoMama730:
    I've wondered if regular exposure has lessened my cat allergy to some extent. Something to ask the allergist! M
  • Options
    imagelrn327:

imageletranger:<
  • Options

imagekeags5496:
    I don't have an answer for you but I came on to ask a question about allergies and then saw your post. I got a litt
  • Options
    imagelulu8109:

Ditto PPs.  I bet it's the cat.  I'm allergic to cats and it's pretty bad.  In HS, my friend's mom ha

• Options
    imagekj07:

I'd bet cat too.  My DH grew up in a house with a dog and many cats and seemed to be okay.   After he moved ou

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"