Baby Showers
Options

Charity raffle at baby's 1st birthday?

I am trying to figure out how to add in an aspect of charity into my daughter's first birthday party. I can't seem to find any information about this. Would it be weird or disrespectful to ask people to donate by doing a raffle for a prize or 2? Then I would donate all proceeds to a charity in my daughter's name. Thanks!

Re: Charity raffle at baby's 1st birthday?

• Options
    There's not really a nice way of telling people to bring a gift and donate money to a charity.  If you're that hellbent on making her birthday into a charity thing, invite people over for dinner one night (mentioning nothing about her birthday).&nbsp
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    I think your heart is in the right place, but it's always rude to suggest how people should spend their money, even if for a good cause.  I would have a regular party for your daughter, and either make a personal donation to a charity in her name or
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have known of children who are old enough to care about a cause of their own asking for donations to a charity in lieu of birthday gifts (I work at an animal shelter and we have had many sweet young kids do this and bring us in their birthday money, or
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBallSox:
    invite people over for dinner one night mentioning nothing about her birthday.nbsp; After they arrive, tell them that this
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJoy2611:
    If you want to make a donation in your daughter's name, why don't you make it yourself?  The whole idea of askin
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageJoy2611:
    If you want to make a donation in your daughter's name, why don't you make it yourself?  The whole idea of asking y
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would do a personal donation because your daughter is only 1. She doesn't actively support these charities so it isn't her asking to donate. When my niece was older she had a party where she asked for donations to the local animal shelter, but that w

• Options

All of what was said before... and... it may not be legal. Raffles are considered gambling in many states and require specific guidelines. Yes, even small personal raffles. So if you are still stuck on this idea, check to make sure it is legal.

I

• Options

I know this is not "proper" but both birthday parties I threw for DS, I put a poem in his invitation that said instead of gifts for him, bring a toy or a bag of dog food for the local animal shelter. 

It went something like,

"instead o

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"