3rd Trimester

Anyone not attending classes before birth?

I have a minimum of 3 dr appts a week now and just do not have time to schedule any labor and birth, breastfeeding or baby care classes (most of which are between 3-7 hours long!) Are they REALLY necessary? I only wonder because for THOUSANDS of years, there were no such things and women birthed and raised their children from pure instinct...

The only thing we ARE signed up for is the hospital tour, so we can make sure of our route to the hospital and where we need to check in, and where we will be going during labor/birth and post-delivery. 

Any thoughts? 

Re: Anyone not attending classes before birth?

• I was actually on here about to post this same question!  For now I've opted out but I'm starting to get nervous about it.  My doctor told me about half his patients go and half don't.  I keep telling myself they won't let me fail.  So
  • I wouldn't say ''pure instinct''. Once upon a time women had babies and raised babies surrounded by other women and girls. Girls learned where babies come from by watching relatives go thru labor.

The classes aren't necessary, every baby is diff

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel approximately 1,000,000 times more confident about the birth process after attending a labor & delivery class - it had so much helpful information about managing your labor. If you can go, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, take some time to read

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I skipped the breastfeeding classes with baby 1, figuring that it wouldn't be all that hard to figure out. 3 days after leaving the hospital I was back in there to see the lactation consultant because of horrible engorgement. I don't know if a class would
  • With my first, i signed up for all the classes but ended up going into labor before I could attend and my labor was fine.  The nurses walk you through it step by step.  Really they are just as if not more important than the dr who usually just s
  • I think it's a good idea to read a few books if you opt out of classes. Especially a BFing book. I read the nursing mother's companion and I think it really helped me be successful last time.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I would suggest a birthing class for coping techniques, but I am sure you could find a book or two on that. I would also recommend an after care class. I have been around babies my whole life and things have changed a lot from what I remember.
  • I'm not taking any classes and haven't actually signed up for the hospital tour yet, though it's on my list of things to do...

Most of the classes in my area are far out of my price range and I can't afford to take time off of work to attend clas

• I am taking infant CPR, infant care and breastfeeding classes, but not any birthing classes. 
  • I would highly reccomend an infant care class. They will teach you a lot of breastfeeding technique in the hospital and as far as labor and delivery- it really depends on the type of labor you are hoping for. If you're planning to go with the flow, get pa
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I didn't take any classes so my dr wanted me to get a DVD and the one I got was Laugh and Learn About Childbirth. The woman is really cheesy but I have learned quite a bit so far!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Half the time you take these labour delivery classes only to have your birth plan go completely different. Yes, its great to be and feel prepared, but I don't think its absolutely necessary. The doctors and nurses will coach you through the process anywa
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you are interested in breastfeeding, I would really recommend taking a class. The rest you can do without, IMO.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I suppose it depends on the hospital, but I wouldn't recommend relying on the nurses or staff to be much help with breastfeeding. My hospital was great, but when my sister gave birth there was no one to help her. And all the nurses gave her conflicting in

• We haven't been to any classes and aren't planning to.

I'm open to having pain meds if I want them so I'm not too worried about learning tons of breathing exercises. If I was planning a natural birth I would have definitely taken some kind

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMommymorticia:

I'm open to having pain meds if I want them so I'm not too worried about learning tons of breathing exercises.&

• We took a 4 week class at our hospital, and I thought it was really low on useful information. I really thought it was going to be more about how to deal with the pain of contractions and what to expect during labor and delivery. Instead, we got a clas

• imagehomebird:
    imageMommymortici

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Before my first we went to a 3 hours express class on a Saturday.  It basically informed you on the labor/delivery process etc and had NPs there to answer questions.  Not laboring techniques were taught.  It was fine, but definitely

• don't worry....I did the classes for LO #1 and found them to be a complete waste. 
  • It depends. Are you well versed in childbirth practices and their risks? Is your partner? Are you planning med free? Truly, I think they are really important. My refresher course is 4 hours next Saturday.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • We only signed up for the hospital tour and childbirth class.  Our childbirth class was 4 sessions I think.  After going to the first two I ended up on bed rest and was unable to attend the remaining classes.  I was induced for medical reas
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I took a few classes while I was pregnant with DS. 1 labor class, 1 car seat class and the tour of the hospital. The labor class wasn't hugely informative, and we got a free carseat from the carseat class (score!). But the nurses and doctors were very

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Sometimes when I get information overload, I get anxious. The whole knowledge is power doesn't really work for me. Sometimes the more I know, the worse off I am. I just don't want to set any expectations only to be disappointed. I don't plan on taking any
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I are not attending any classes since he has to work during everyone that is offered. I did search on Netflix and found some videos that we have watched. I think that they helped us both understand a little bit more.
  • What videos did you watch on Netflix??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've decided not to attend classes. I was slightly nervous about not going to any, but given the descriptions of the classes offered in my area, I was put off by them. They seemed more like sitting around singing Kumbaya with other preggos than the inf

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I went to my class and absolutly loved it. Alot of people told me they were a waste of time and silly. I was shocked how many rude comments I got about it so I went to the class thinking well if this is stupid I will just leave at the break. Both myself a
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"