Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Won't take pedialyte

We're on stomach bug number 3 and I've tried grape, clear, apple and fruit punch flavors. He'll take a sip or two then throws the cup. He's not wetting much so I'm worried, he will drink water so I keep offering that, and we are still nursing occasionally and he's managed to keep that down. Any thoughts? I can't force him to drink. We're going to the pedi tomorrow but I didn't think getting him to drink the pedialyte would be such an issue.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Won't take pedialyte

• My DD hates Pedialyte. Won't touch it. 

Just offer water and the breast until you see the pedi. Don't force anything. His body knows what to do!  

eta: any clear fluids are ok, including broth. keep it simple and most

• Have you tried to pedialyte freeze pops?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi said most kids hate pedialyte.  She said to give him Gatorade instead....it's basically the same stuff, it just tastes better.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I know it says not to add water, but we always do
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pedi said to give Gatorade (G2). Whan LO would not take that, I used a 10 ml  dropper to give it to her. I basically gave her 20 ml every 30 minutes for 2 hrs, then off for two hours. 
  • Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but when DD1 was 16m had a bug and needed fluids but wouldn't drink pedialyte, I gave her apple juice. If I had thought of Gatorade I might have tried it, but I didn't, and we had apple juice and I was desperate to get flui

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Pedialyte is gross!  Have you tried it?  Water down some gatorade and let him have that, but since he still nursing he should be fine.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • When DD had the stomach bug earlier this month, my pedi said to mix the pedialyte with juice - and DD finally did drink it once we did that.  She was drinking water and milk, so we never got to the point where h

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I typically do half water half pedialyte.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • imageCLL1001:
    Have you tried to pedialyte freeze pops?

I haven't tried these for my daughter, but my sis

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try giving him the Pedialyte Pops or giving him the fluid through a medicine syringe. 
  • I'll try the juice/pedialyte too... the pedi rec'd Gatorade watered down.

I did taste the pedilyte so I know exactly why he won't drink it - nasty! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"