Working Moms
Options

WWYD, Hiring SIL nanny

My SIL is a full time nanny as her regular job and she gets paid $16/hr (average for nannies here). we have the chance of getting her as our nanny when I return to work and DD is 4 months. It would be great...except that is way out of our price range. We are financially comfortable with about only $8/hr for childcare, however, we could afford about $11/hr for a few months. SIL said she may be willing to take a pay cut if we hire her.  I would love to have her be the nanny, but I really don't want any issues to come up like resentment for lower pay...or us end up being resentful for spending over our comfort level. Just wondering, what would you do in this situation? If you are paying a family member for childcare, how is it working out? Any advice?

Perhaps another question, is it worth it to we switch childcare after a few months? I feel like maybe it might be worth it to spend the extra money when she is younger, 4-6 months. I have no clue really though, does that sound like it doesn't make sense?

Pregnancy Ticker
20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage

Re: WWYD, Hiring SIL nanny

• Options
    If you are able to pay $11/hour for a few months, then what?  Find new childcare or ask her to take another paycut down to $8/hour?  I think it would be crazy awkward to hire SIL for half price and then potentially get half-assed care or pushbac
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Probably find new childcare after a few months. Perhaps another question, is it worth it to we switch childcare after a few months? I feel like maybe it might be worth it to spend the extra money when she is younger, 4-6 months. I have no clue really thou
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would find a permanent daycare solution that will be affordable to you, and sign DD up for that.  I don't think it's a good idea to mix business with family, since you'll want to be comfortable giving instructions and setting expectations. &nbsp

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Would you and SIL consider a nanny share? Perhaps there is another family she knows of that has one child and would be willing to share her. Say you pay $10 and the other family pays $10? That works out to a 25% raise for SIL ($20/hr instead of $16) wh
  • Options
    Don't put your SIL in a position where she works for $11/hour for a few months and then has to go job search. And don't put yourselves in a position where you have to find new childcare after just a few months of using SIL. Find something long-term that y
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    Honestly I don't think I would do it.  First of all you are limiting her pay.  Second I think because it is family that there would be resentment later on which would cause family problems.  Also it doesn't make sense to start with her for
  • Options

imageEllaHella:
    Don't mix business with family.

+1.

• Options
    WHY is she willing to take a pay cut and does she realize it's only temporary?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I would not do it. I would just look for long term care in my price range. Your situation seems like it has the potential to get sticky.
  • Options
    srgwsrgw member

$8/hr is really low. Heck, even $11/hr is on the lower end. Especially for someone who nannys as a career and probably has a degree in ECE or the like.

Don't do it OP. No good will come from it. Find a nice in home childcare or do a

• Options
    SIL is my nanny and I love love love it. We are open and honest with each other and have had no issues. She LOVES LO and i love that he is with his aunt all day. But we pay her the going nanny rate. I wouldn't ask her to take a huge pay cut to work fo
    BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • Options

imageEllaHella:
    Don't mix business with family.

this!   

TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
    Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
    7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
    beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
    7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I will be occasionally paying my sister for care. My DH and I are on different shifts and it will end in me getting 5 hours sleep MAX a day. so I'll occasionally call CNA sister for baby care. 

I would tell the SIL that its not within your r

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagesrgw:

Tangent/vent: it's so laughable to me that people who work in offices/professional jobs make $15-20+/hr, yet contemplate

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imageBetty&Co:

imageEllaHella
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagegingerfamily:
    imageBetty&am
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageitsmevkb:
    imagesrgw:</stron