August 2013 Moms

grandMIL vent (looong)

Me and MIL get along just fine- especially when it comes to how we feel about her mother. Memaw is one of the most negative human beings I have ever met. She is very jealous (to the point that when we brought our new puppy and MIL brought her older toy-poodle to the beach last fall, she decided she 'needed' a dog too- to which everyone said "wait a second, think about this" and now she has a hyperactive yippy pup who doesn't get enough socialization- even made the comment to MIL "well its your fault I got her anyway"- uhm, no we ALL told you it was a terrible idea).

MIL and I went fabric shopping for baby and Memaw got upset that she was not invited. She would have hated it- i thought- but okay, we will invite her next time we shop for baby so that maybe we won't hear her whine. WRONG. MIL, SO, and I decided to go to BRU yesterday to register (its about a 45 minute drive to the nearest big city) and we invited both grandMILs to come along. Memaw came, but the other is in such a poor state of health that she wasn't able to join us this trip. We went to Target first, looked around, Memaw disappeared. When we were done we found her looking at dog clothes. We went to dinner and she whined about how she can't chew steak and that all she could get was a potato. Then when we finally got to BRU she walked in, said "Well, there's nothing really for me here anyway." turned around and went to NAP IN THE CAR. On our way home she convinced us to stop at a department store and while MIL and I were finding some (cuuute) maternity clothes Memaw was looking for herself. On our way home we only heard about how she was going to get home so late (10pm).
Luckily enough, the food was delicious, we found all the things we wanted to register without problem, I got some new maternity clothes, and after we got back to town SO and I went to my brother's house as they were having a small get-together. The day was not lost but geez lady, can't you be thankful that you're not like Nannie who couldn't even come because she has a bladder infection, anemia, a failing liver, osteoporosis, and MD? Can't you be excited for the baby and not concerned with yourself for like 2 seconds?!?!?!

Then today we decided to announce the gender. Memaw has been adamant about it being a girl girl girl girl girl. Well everyone else just wants the baby to be happy and healthy, and everyone was thrilled for a girl! (SO is the only granchild on both sides- his dad even did a little dance for a granddaughter! too cute!) However Memaw said about four times how "little girls always love their daddies and their grandpa's more than their mommies" which really hurt my feelings- I am very close with my mother, even a little more than my dad, and I hope that my children will be close to me no matter their gender. I now realize that this was not aimed at me so much as it was aimed at MIL -who spends much of her time looking after her father (he and memaw divorced long ago) who can't take care of himself so well- which makes Memaw jealous. What a spiteful thing to say over and over again. (I guess she kept repeating it because no one responded anytime she said it)

I have had it. I will continue to play nice with her as I would never go out of my way to hurt someones feelings like she does, but I am absolutely not going out of my way to invite her to anything else or to try to accommodate her in any way. This weekend taught me that there just is no pleasing some people. She could sh-t rainbows and would just whine that there wasn't a pot-o-gold too.

AH, rant over. Thanks for listening. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: grandMIL vent (looong)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"