Special Needs

Questions about mental health (mine)

How do you know the difference between your regular emotions and depression/PTSD?

I had a breakdown at work today. Something work related upset me and then I just couldn't put myself back together. It was so bad, I had to bail on a meeting and lock myself in my office for an hour.

Finally, I was presentable enough to exit my office, but as I did so, I overheard someone talking about taking their child to see the Easter Bunny. And, that made me think about Lily and how she has to miss out on so much because of her disabilities, and I couldn't help getting upset all over again. I kept thinking, "You don't know how good you have it.". And then I cried all the way home, 45 minutes.

Now, granted I've only had 10 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours. So, I wonder how much of this is sleep deprivation. But, I do tend to go in cycles. Most days, I'd say I am fulfilled and happy with my life. But, about every 2 to 4 weeks, I do have a day, or several, like today. A day when everything feels so unfair, and I am so saddened by my life.

I sometimes wonder if these are my true feelings, if I'm really depressed, but just don't notice all other days, because I'm too busy running on autopilot.

So, tell me, how do you know?

image      image      image

Re: Questions about mental health (mine)

• I am able to sleep okay.  The reason I am sleep deprived is actually work related (I was chaperoning a Jr. high lock-in).  Are sleep issues related to PTSD?  I know it can be related to depression, but it's never been an indicator for me.&n
               image      image      image
  • image-auntie-:
    Hyperarousal is common in PTSD; often this means poor sleep. Either difficulty falling asleep, extra early waking an
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • imageJoJoGee:
    I am able to sleep okay.  The reason I am sleep deprived is actually work related (I was chaperoning a Jr. high
  • I went through a difficult stretch when DS was 1-2. He was really struggling developmentally, our friend's kids were flying by him and it sucked. I might have been technically depressed, I don't know. I do know that it was (at least to me) justifiable.

• It's called grief. You are mourning the life you thought you were going to have until she was born. Lack of sleep coupled with being hypersensitive to people's comments can bring the grief all up to the surface.

After DD was born I went through 2

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd go to the Dr. I did, and the subsequent counselling really helped. I really needed strategies to sort the lack of sleep/flashbacks/nightmares, etc. They really ended up helping.  I agree with pp that stated it could be grief-related too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"