June 2013 Moms
Options

Babyshower Etiquette

I just returned from a babyshower where the mom-to-be was given hand me downs as gifts at the shower. Is this normal?

I gave the mom-to-be hand me downs about 2 months ago, because I thought it would be tacky to present them to her at her shower.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Babyshower Etiquette

• Options
    I'm getting some hand-me-downs at my shower (I only know because the people have asked me if it's ok) and I'm completely fine with it.  Because the people have asked before giving them makes me think that it's maybe unusual but I'm fine with whatever
  • Options
    It is tacky/strange if it was given to her at her shower as a gift, yes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would think it would be okay for me. I'm not to picky and anything will help.
  • Options
    I think it's strange... That's definitely not common around here. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't mind hand-me-downs at all, but getting them as a shower gift may be a little strange especially if they were wrapped up. If I hand me downs to give to someone and I wanted to bring them to the shower I would buy something to wrap and then just giv
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Options
    Tacky. You don't wrap, and gift used things. 
    I'm so crafty, I make people.
  • Options
    What was the item? How do you know it was a hand me down?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageChristyD6:
    I don't mind handmedowns at all, but getting them as a shower gift may be a little strange especially if they were wrapp

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options

I was given hand-me-down items at my shower but it wasn't the gift.  I had a few friends bring bags of baby clothes and maternity clothes to the shower.  They put them all in another room and had regular, new, wrapped gifts for the shower.</p

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I guess it would depend on the condition of said item maybe? I know I'm going to be getting a few hand me down items at my shower (clothing) and it doesn't bother me.

imageimageimage

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Tacky. It's one thing to give hand me downs, it's another thing to gift them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options

imageQueSyrah:
    What was the item? How do you know it was a hand me down?

The items were receiving blankets

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagenewmomat33:

imageQueSyrah:</
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tacky, and I normally don't think that of most things. we are getting alot of hand me down clothes but I know they wont be gifts at the shower. 
  • Options
    imagenewmomat33:

imageQueSyra

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree its tacky to be the shower present. I would have done what you did and give them to her before or after her shower if she was interested in them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was given hand me downs at my shower. They were still very damp and from 1997 (I know this because Old Navy dates its clothing in the smaller tag and I used to work there). I thanked her, treated it as any gift, but I did side eye it all, I'll be honest

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• Options
    I personally would never give a used gift like that but who knows what the person's financial situation is. Maybe they are tight on money and absolutely couldn't afford to buy a gift?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageChristyD6:
    I don't mind hand-me-downs at all, but getting them as a shower gift may be a little strange especially if they wer

• Options
    Unless the mom to be specifically arranged or requested this kind of hand-me-down beforehand, this constitutes bad etiquette to me. I think it's great to give a mom hand me downs but not as a shower gift. It should always be something new to celebrate and
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"