2nd Trimester
Options

Pos. Quad and scared

My doctor called today and told me that based on my quad screening I have a 1 in 240 chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. I made an appointment for a detailed anatomy u/s not sure the exact type, but can't go for over a week since I am out of town. I did not have a chance to ask a lot of questions and I won't be able to contact my doctor till Monday. Has anyone experienced a similar scare or does anyone know what the reasons for a false positive are? The mayo clinic lists a few like a due date miscalculation or having twins but I am pretty sure those are not the case for me. Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated!

Re: Pos. Quad and scared

• Options
    I am sorry you are scared!

Quad screens do not have positive results. Instead, they give you the odds of.having a baby with a defect.

1 in 240 is very low. That is a 00.4 percent risk that baby has the issue. It means you hav

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options

imageCelticWife:
    I am sorry you are scared! Quad screens do not have positive results. Instead, they give you the odds of.havin
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Dr did call it positive, so does the Mayo clinic. I know that this only means that my levels are outside the normal range for a 28 year old, but I am still nervous. My other results were all 1 in 5,000 and then this one came back so much lower. Realis
  • Options
    I know that it's called "positive", but that's so so misleading.

Like PP said, there is a 99.96 percent chance your baby doesn't have DS. While I'm definitely all for getting as much information as possible, the odds are in your favor.

• Options
    sorry you have to go through this stress, but as others have said your odds are still good that baby is fine, especially if other tests are fine. I'm not a medical expert so I can't say for sure why it came back high, but you do need to keep in mind that
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • Options

Also posted on our birth month:

1 in 240 odds is still very low.

We had a 1 in 47 chance of having a baby with Downs based on the Quad which has doubled to 1 in 23.5 based on 2 soft markers at the level 2 ultrasound.  Which is stil

imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • Options

Ugh, so sorry.  This is why I hate these tests. The give either a false sense of worry or a false sense of security.   Why on earth is a 99.96 % chance baby is fine considered a positive quad screen?

I would just keep remind

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageCelticWife:
    I am sorry you are scared!

Quad screens do not have positive results. Instead, they give you the odds of.
  • Options
    I was 24 with my first and had a 1 in 208 chance. My doctor called it "positive" before even telling me the numbers which made me think for a few seconds that DD had downs! They did the indepth ultrasound and there were no soft markers. So the "risk" went
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"