May 2013 Moms

Diagnosed w/ gestational diabetes - why is blood sugar normal?

I am really confused.  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes after the 1-hour test (which I failed by one point) and the three-hour test (where my fasting number was normal but my other three numbers were over).

I have been taking my blood sugar numbers this week, and they are all normal and not even close to the limits.  Last night, I had a bunch of potatoes and dessert with my meal, and did not exercise, and my post-meal numbers were still almost 30 points below the cut-off number.

What is the deal?  I'm wondering why they stressed me out so much about failing this test if my blood sugars are not coming back high.  I have had no other issues in my pregnancy, and my weight gain is normal.

The one thing that has me a little worried is that I have ketones in the morning even though I know I'm eating enough calories.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience and has any insights.

Re: Diagnosed w/ gestational diabetes - why is blood sugar normal?

• I completely agree.  I was so angry when I was first diagnosed because all of my numbers were fine.  I was convinced it was a mistake.  Now, 2 months after all of that, my numbers are much harder to control.  I'm hoping to be able to s
  • Interesting.  Thanks for the insights.

I am almost 34 weeks now, so hopefully nothing too much more extreme will happen in the 6 or so weeks left.

I waited over a month between my first and second tests.  Part of me wonders i

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"