Baby Showers
Options

Opening cards at shower

Forgive me if this gets asked all the time, I didn't see it in my quick glance over recent posts.  

Did you open cards at your shower?  As in the cards not attached to a physical gift.  I did not at my bridal shower because there were a lot of physical gifts to open, and I felt awkward opening a card to basically announce someone gave us cash or a gift card.  

However my baby shower is OOT for me, and while there is still about a week before it, most of the items purchased off of it have either been shipped to me already or were given to me at my local shower last weekend.  Many people have told my mom that they are just doing gift cards knowing we are traveling, so I don't know how many physical gifts will be at this shower to open.  There will be around 45 people or so at this shower.  

Would you in this case open the cards as well in front of everyone?  Or just still open the physical gifts? 

Re: Opening cards at shower

• Options

I only got 3 envelopes that were "just cards" (with checks, etc. in them) so it wasn't a big deal to open them. 

As far as cards attached to gifts, I opened them enough to see who the gift was from and then opened the gift without reading

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yes, I opened up the cards.  Whether w/ a gift or not - I didn't read them in detail, though. If there was a message from them, I'd read it later.  I just basically looked at who it was from.

Regardless if there was a GC or $$ in the ca

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

Yes, I opened up the cards.  Whether w/ a gift or not - I didn't read them in detail, though. If there wa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would still open them. At showers I have been to everything is opened.
  • Options
    The card is a gift, so yes, I opened the cards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, open them.
  • Options

At all three of my showers, I did open all the cards for the main purpose of knowing who to say thank you to once the gift was opened. Mind you, I did send formal thank you cards as well, but I also think an initial verbal thank you is warranted at the

• Options
    imageEstwd2:
    I think it's very rude not to open the cards. You don't even have to say if it's money or not, just say "Thank you so muc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies, I will likely open them then.

FWIW, in my social circle they usually aren't ever opened.  I don't know if it's generally because there are big showers and people don't want everyone to sit through gifts that long, or what the

• Options
    I opened the cards.  I wouldn't read them aloud, but definitely open them and acknowledge the giver, just as you would any other gift.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think at showers, you should open the gifts. I'm going to assume that these people didn't buy off the registry. People love giving outfits and baby accessories that aren't on the registry. 

I've been to many showers, and I always decide to

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I did- I would just say "Oh, thanks so much, Susie.  This is really generous (for cash) or I can't wait to go shopping at BRU (for gift cards)."
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerpalen29:

I think at showers, you should open the gifts. I'm going to assume that these people didn't buy off the registry. Pe

• Options
    <lurker>  On a side note, I was at a wedding shower once where a bride received quite a few cards.  She opened them all at once and it was really boring to watch.  With this in mind, at the next shower I hosted, I sporadically gave th
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagedaisylove711:
    <lurker>  On a side note, I was at a wedding shower once where a bride received quite a few cards. &n
  • Options
    imagescormier123:
    imageEastCoastBrid
  • Options
    imagescormier123:
    imageEastCoastBrid
  • Options
    Often I haven asked the MTB what would be most useful and she has mentioned that they are saving up for xyz. I usually give a gift card or money to help (I hate shopping for baby crap). I would have been very offended and hurt if she didn't even bother to
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • Options
    Yes. I opened cards and passed them around.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"