Attachment Parenting
Options

Discipline

I'm sorry- I know this probably gets asked all the time. 

Those of you with toddlers and older children. How do you handle disciple? I'm watching a rerun of super nanny and it just got me thinking. She always teaches the Time Out chair and that you make kids sit the length of their age. (two minutes in time out for a two year old). 

How does that fall in with APing? I mean in this show, most of the time the kid sits in TO and CIOs the whole time. 

What do you do for discipline? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Discipline

• Options

the traditional time out doesn't work with my kid lol. I can barely get her to sit still when she's not upset/frustrated, much less when she is.

Right now we have the most luck with knowing her triggers and preventing them from happening. If she

• Options
    Thanks guys.  Katie- I'm going to check out those books. =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Spirited Child has saved my sanity. Dd totally fits the bill and after reading the book and implementing some of the methods (and really, just me accepting her for who she is, at least right now) took the tantrums down from 1 an hour to maybe 1 a day.&

• Options
    skioskio member
    I was recently struggling with disciplining my two year old. I would get angry and lose it and yell and try to force time out, then feel terribly guilty because she would cry and look so sad. I didn't like the idea of time out in the first place, and she
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I try very hard to apply natural consequences.  I feel it's a better representation of the world we live in, and more effective in the long run.

That said, I find it very hard to *never* apply consequences myself.  You want to run away

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTiffanyBerry:

I try very hard to apply natural consequences.  I feel it's a better representation of the world we live in

• Options
    imagefredalina:
    imageMissAmanda1
  • Options

Fredalina, thank you for the breakdown between the two.  I don't know that it will change what I do (I'm not feeling I need to change) but it helps me explain it and think about it more clearly.  So it will probably help me refine my response

IMG_8355
  • Options

My approach changes a bit if safety is involved too. Sure she has a choice between her climbing off the table, and me removing her;; but if she's running down the street, or at a party where there is drinking, I will rremove her from the situation the

• Options
    imagefredalina:
    imageMissAmanda1
  • Options
    We use a combination of positive reinforcement, redirection, natural (and logical) consequences.  If he is physical (biting or hitting), we give him a warning and then a time out.  One thing that we have also incorporated is "cool down" time. &n
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"