Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Overtired baby, frustrated mama.

My son is 2 weeks old and we have had such a trying day.  He has been pretty good about taking naps during the day so far.  However, today he fought sleep from when he woke up from his morning nap at 8:45 a.m. until 2:15 p.m.  He was so tired, but would scream any time I tried to put him down for a nap (after falling asleep in my arms).  He ended up passing out from 2:15 until 6:00, and now here we are around bedtime and he is doing the exact same thing and will not sleep at all.  My husband's solution is to just keep feeding him, but I don't necessarily think that is the answer.  Not to mention, by the time we can get him to at least doze off while holding him, it is almost time for him to eat again so then we have to start the cycle all over.

I don't know if I am looking for advice here, I am just at my wits end and needed to vent.  I am still going through those crazy PP hormones, and just really doubting myself on everything and feeling like I cannot do this!  I know, he is only two weeks old, but I just wish it were easier than this.  Please someone tell me that it gets better?!  I am looking towards another very long night (last night he only slept for about 1.5 hour stretches). 

Re: Overtired baby, frustrated mama.

• Thank you. I think the lack of sleep, mixed with the hormones, just really make it feel miserable and lonely at times.  Nobody ever told me it would be this hard, and nobody told me about the crazy hormones I would experience.  Everyone just

• I just want to hug you both because I know exactly how you are feeling right now. Weeks two and three were by far the hardest for me. My son was very fussy due to gas issues, up all night crying, and by the time I got him calm like you said, it was tim

• Loading the player...
  • I am experiencing the exact same thing and my DD is 3 weeks old. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and often I wonder if I am cut out for the newborn stage. it's so trying and frustrating..and then she looks all innocent when she's asleep I fee
  • Sorry vent not over yet..

and on top of the fussy baby, I'm dealing with major boob pain, doctors that are not useful and I'm in so much pain ....After seeing 3 LC nurses, one regular nurse and a LLL person we have the latching figured out finall

• imagehoneydew01:

Sorry vent not over yet..

and on top of the fussy baby, I'm dealing with major boob pain, doctors that are n

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are so many wonderful and special moments that come along with having a newborn but bedtime is not one of them! When you're in that stage of waking for feeds and changing diapers or dealing with a baby that won't peacefully rest it seems like there
  • It sounds really normal, honestly. DD1 had a lot of the same sleeping and nursing issues. Luckily, DD2 has been so much easier. Have you tried swaddling? I highly recommend Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp. It has some great ideas for calming bab
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your baby could be bored... After nursing him, try putting him on a play mat with some toys dangling in front of him, or give him some tummy time. Make sure to keep his elbows in, under his shoulders so his head doesn't rest on the ground. I feel like I
  • This is why my DD slept in a swing the first 3 weeks of her life.  Wink  Seriously, it was the only place we could get her to sleep other than on one of us.  I prom
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
  • Poor mama! My son is 4 weeks today and weeks 2-3 were bordering on miserable! Then I checked out The Happiest Baby on the Block. I'm only half way through it and it has changed everything. I understand my baby more, and understand motherhood more. I reall
  • My baby is 8wks today and she is struggling terribly with gas and going 2. I tried to breastfeed and i had to use the shield. She wasnt getting much and cried alot. I started using similac sensitive ready to use formula. At her 2wk she cried like she was
  • It does get better. Maybe he has gas. Look up massage videos on how to work out the gas on You Tube; helped us quite a bit. Are you still swaddling? That helps us too! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you don't have a moby or ring sling I'd get one. My first LO was like that and she needed to be worn to be soothed. Also, the second that LO yawns the first time or has been awake for 45 min or so I would stop making eye contact, get quiet, start sooth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"