Preemies

Update on the twins

A lot has happened in the past few days!  First, their PDAs were not as bad as they expected and they don't need to be treated.  The docs think they'll close on their own overtime and they've already decreased significantly.

Silas our little boy has had a rough week.  On Tuesday morning, the nurse noticed some blood in his stool, so they drew some blood to look for infection.  Unfortunately, they haven't been able to locate where the infection is.  His blood culture has not shown an infection, his urine is clear and his spinal fluid is clear, but they know he has one.  His white blood cell count is very high indicating he's fighting something.  He has been on antibiotics since they found the blood so it's been a little over three days.  He's back on the vent and off of breast milk to give his tummy a rest.  They gave him a blood transfusion today because his red blood cell count is low.  Hopefully he'll be off the vent tomorrow.  He's really uncomfortable and fighting it a lot, so the doc wants it out as soon as possible.

Quinn, our little girl is still doing well.  She's exceeded her birth weight and now weighs 1 lb 14 oz.  She's still on the high flow nasal cannual. 

This scare with Silas is so much harder than I ever thought it would be.  He looks so weak and sick and it's hard to handle.  We are just so scared of the unknown.  I know this is one of the "downs" everyone talks about, I just didn't imagine how hard it would be.  I'm sure we have more of these ahead of us and it will make us more appreciative of the ups.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Update on the twins

• Hugs for you. I found nothing can prepare you for the downs. No matter how many people who have been there try it so different whwhen you face it. At one piint Fowler was on the oscillator and requiring 100 percent O2 for 48 hours. He was fighting dou le
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for Silas and Quinn. Keep fighting babies.

• Loading the player...
  • Does Silas have NEC? That's an infection in his intestines. It's fairly common and VERY treatable so I bet those antibiotics will help! I know it's so hard to ride the NICU coaster :( I hope the rest of the week is smooth sailing for everyone!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"