Special Needs

Tried Melatonin..LOVE IT!

I had seen a couple posts about melatonin over the past few years but I really just didn't want to add any more medicine to keep track of.  DD1s sleep habits have always been bad, i mean awful wouldn't even be touching to how bad they are.  They were better after her spinal surgery but still no where near normal.  At 3, she still didn't sleep through the night and it took 2-3 hours to get her in bed/asleep and lots of crying involved, etc.

A friend of mine who sees the same pedi said he told her she could use melatonin, i got a couple of the chewable tablets from her to 'try' and see how it went before I bought a bottle.

ZOMG!  Different child!!  She takes the fine (strawberry flavored 3mg chewable from walmart) and about 45mins ish or so later she walks up to me, "mom i'm ready for bed."

NO FIGHTING.  NO SCREAMING.  NO LAYING IN BED FOR 2 HOURS WANTING TO RUN AWAY!!

She is asleep on average within 5 mins of laying down, sometimes shorter sometimes longer.

I asked him today about how 'safe' it was, etc and he's a fairly new pedi who does lots of research and has publications and he said their is nothing bad about it, so now I don't feel bad for giving it to her either.

I know kids who have neuro issues often time have sleep issues, so I just wanted to let anyone else  who had it in the back of their head but was unsure of it, know our experience!
DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Tried Melatonin..LOVE IT!

• So glad you found something that works! 

Melatonin has the same effect on me as on your DD. When you need it, man, that stuff can really work.

I don't know if it works

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagelite-bright:

So glad you found something that works! 

Melatonin has the same effect o

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • interesting. i'm curious if she was waking a lot in the middle of the night. my dd wakes frequently--probably every two to three hours still--but just fusses for a few minutes and falls back asleep. occasionally i have to get up and help her get b

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't really noticed any grogginess, other than my regular grogginess from still having to get up at night on a semi-regular basis. :P

I've always been the one to get up the kids about 90% of the time since I SAH/WAH, and I'm a very light sle

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • So happy that it is helping. 

We always use it when DS needs to reset his sleeping habits. Wish that we had known earlier since he has always been a horrible sleeper. 

Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am so thankful for melatonin. Our pedi couldn't understand why I was resistant. I felt like I was drugging DD. However, it is an anti-oxidant and studies show it reduces risks of certain cancers with no side effects.

We used to have to lay with

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • image-auntie-:
    Melatonin is primarily a hormone.

Auntie--are you against melatonin?  I'm just curious

• Melatonin has been a game changer in our house as well.  My son didn't have one single full night's sleep before we started using it just after his third birthday, not even as a newborn.  After just a few days of using it, my son also came to me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"