October 2012 Moms
Options

And my own perspective on Gay Marriage

And since I feel like being a PW today, I'll share a story about a lesbian couple I met recently... I feel like this story demonstrates why DOMA is horrible and needs to be struck down.

At my local La Leche League meeting, there was a marriedlesbian couple who was there with their newborn baby boy.  They live in New Orleans, but they went to Washington, D.C. to get married (gay marriage is legal in the District of Columbia, however the Federal government does not recognize their marriage thanks to DOMA and states that do not allow gay marriage do not recognize their marriage either).

When they decided that they wanted to have a baby, they used a sperm donor and one of the women got pregnant.  However, because they both wanted to be on the baby's birth certificate, and Louisiana does not allow same-sex parent adoption, they had to travel back to Washington, D.C. to have the baby.  So six weeks before she was due, they packed up all their stuff and went back to DC, had the baby, and then waited until he was six weeks old before coming back to New Orleans.

This baby boy is lucky to have two loving parents and that's more than I can say for a lot of kids who have heterosexual parents.  

If only SCOTUS could both strike down DOMA and require states to recognize all legal marriages! 

Re: And my own perspective on Gay Marriage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"