Blended Families
Options

Braces

How have you handled braces in your BF situations? My DD is about to get braces and after insurance is applied, there is still a sizeable amount due. I have a support order but doesn't specifically address orthodontics although it was discussed in open court during our hearing. I'm just wondering how the Court viewed braces in other situations and whether or not it would be considered a uncovered health expense versus cosmetic, and whether this is a fight I want to battle.

Re: Braces

• Options
    In my case becasue my daughters jaw was an issue it was considered medical not just cosmetic so DB is to pay for half out of pocket.  I had  a letter provided by the ortho explaining why it was medical so he couldn't argue the fact.
  • Options
    We specifically put in the court order that cosmetics specifically named braces, LASIK eye surgery etc are optional.

If BM wants SS to have braces and we don't she pays it all and vice versa. If we both believe SS needs something we will sp
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its not in the CO but we split the cost 50/50 after insurance. BM and DH didn't argue about it, she needs braces so...I'm not sure why we wouldn't pay half...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageCurlyQ284:
    Its not in the CO but we split the cost 50/50 after insurance. BM and DH didn't argue about it, she needs braces so...I
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    imageCurlyQ284:
    Its not in the CO but we split the cost 50/50 after insurance. BM and DH didn't argue about it, she needs braces so...I
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    imageNineoceans:
    We specifically put in the court order that cosmetics specifically named braces, LASIK eye surgery etc are optional.
  • Options

We have been through all three of the girls with braces.

SD1 was purely cosmetic verified by the dentist. Then suddenly after this appointment SD and BM started telling us about pain that braces would fix. But now I am off topic. For SD1 DH and

• Options
    The point is though want and need differ from households. I wanted and needed braces as a kid but we didn't have the money so I got them for myself as an adult. Unless the kid cannot eat its a want not a need

I'm not going to put our househol
  • Options

Our CO says that we'll split any cost that both parents agree to.  If they can't agree then either the parent that wants it pays, or they go to mediation. 

DH and BM agreed to braces.  And, while it was like pulling teeth to get

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    imagelookame3639:
    imageCurlyQ284:</s
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My DD needed braces, it isn't in our CO but we both agree to split the cost 50/50 for what the insurance didn't pick up.  My ex just adds his half of the monthly payment to my CS payment, and then I pay the ortho monthly.

Since braces, in mo

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"