Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

When did you...

For breastfeeding moms. When did you first introduce a bottle to LO? My LO is a little over a week old. She does well at breastfeeding with a good latch. She however has started to cluster feed at night and it is wearing me down. My DH wants me to start pumping so he can give her a bottle at night to help out. I'm not sure if it's too soon??
Pregnancy Ticker
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: When did you...

• Options
    I think they say wait until at least three weeks to prevent nipple confusion.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    We did bottles immediately. LO was a preemie and they had us supplement with formula in the hospital. We have had zero problems. She gets bottles twice at her late night and early am feeds and I pump, otherwise she is so sleepy it takes forever to nurse h
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everything I've read says to wait 6 weeks, but you do what you gotta do.  Keep in mind though that it's still pretty early and your body hasn't quite gotten used to BFing.  Maybe give it a few more days.  I have the same issues with cluster
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I started right from the beginning, as well. She's 8 weeks now and goes back and forth between bottle and nursing without a problem. I know the rule is to wait, but it also depends on the baby, too. Some have no problem going back and forth, others do.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

This DS hasn't had a bottle  yet but our first son had one right away. We were having problems nursing so I would pump after each session/attempted session and feed him that. He never had any issues going between breast and bottle.

Keep in m

• Options

We first introduced at bottle at just over 3 weeks. Unfortunately, we didn't do it often enough and now DD is having a heck of a time taking a bottle. We're doing one everyday until she can consistently take it without a problem.

Every baby is d

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    My LC told me to wait at least a month to avoid confusion.  I know it's rough, as I am going through the same thing (my son is only 2 weeks).  However, I am trying to hold out as long as I can.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageTeacher Clark:
    The cluster feeding is really important as it is helping to build you supply. If you do supplement you will have to
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    about 5 days pp. I did bottles for night feeds so that it was quicker and easier for me. Then after i layed her down i would pump. It took half the time as nursing would since we dont really bedshare.. I had no problems until about 3 months. Then for what

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I tried I think around 5 or 6 weeks and she didn't like it and then she didn't use it again until 9 weeks. I think 1 week is early, the suggestion I've seen most often is 6 weeks. I only give DD a bottle if I'm not around to BF because I hate pumping.
  • Options

A week is probably a little early. Pumping might mess up your supply or her BFing. 

I started pumping and offering a bottle at 3 weeks.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our pediatrician suggested between 2-3 weeks.  My mom gave DS2 a bottle while DH and I went out for brunch last Saturday.  DS was 2 weeks, 4 days old and did great.  No issues with the bottle and no issues returning to the breast.
  • Options
    We had to introduce it the first week , due to my low supply, now at 3 weeks she will take either no problem
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

With DS2, we waited until 6w.  We offer a bottle every other day, once a day.  He does fine going back and forth.

As PPs have said,  I would wait at least a few more weeks if you can 

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options

imagelifewrite:
    imageTeacher

• Options
    DH offered the first bottle at about 3.5 weeks due to an interview I had which would take me away from DD for a few hours. She fussed a little bit, but eventually took it. That same evening and ever since, she thankfully hasn't ever refused my boob. Since

• Options
    My son was introduced to a bottle @ 3 days old b/c he was admitted to the NICU.  I wasn't able to restart BF until he was about 10 days old.  I didn't have any problems. 
    BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
  • Options
    We waited unitl 5.5 weeks and he's been doing great.  Took the bottle no problem, returned to the boob no problem.

• Options
    My LO got a bottle in the NICU. We had to work hard to get him to take the real nipple but once we got it he goes back and forth easily. I'm not sure how it is for babies who had never had one.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    imageTeacher Clark:
    The cluster feeding is really important as it is helping to build you supply. If you do supplement you will have t
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We did around two weeks because my MIL was going back home and gave us a date night.  I pumped the day before to practice and then the day of so that she would have a bottle to give DS.  Then around three weeks I developed mastitis AND thursh so
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had every intention of waiting the recommended 6 weeks to introduce a bottle. However, I got a UTI 3 days PP and DS had to take a bottle since I was in the ER for 6 hours. He even had to have a little bit of formula since I pumped what I could before

• Options
    Also, I understand what everyone else is saying about having to pump at the same time, but after about 4 weeks, I didn't all the time and was fine. But I never did it at the same time every day and just cut out a feeding signal to my brain- the nights or
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"