Military Families

Thinking of Joining the Reserves

Hi All! I was hoping someone might have some insight on what life is like as a working mom joining the reserves.

A little background - I didn't know anyone in the military until I got to college - so it wasn't until junior year that I realized I would have loved to join ROTC. After college, my husband and I started the process to join the AF together, but the recruiter dropped off the face of the earth and I got a job, and we got married and nothing ever became of the military after that.  Ever since, I have always sort of regretted not joining.

I have often considered joining the reserves, but am concerned about time away from family.  We have a beautiful baby girl who is about 10months old, and we plan to have one more child in the near future.  I just turned 26, so I know have a few years before I hit the upper age limit.  Are there any other Moms on here who are reservists (or husbands of a reservist)?  If so, when did you join and how old were your kids when you joined? 

I have a strong desire to serve and be a part of the military brotherhood, but am also concerned about being away from my family for half a year during basic and officer training.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thinking of Joining the Reserves

• You'd be gone for about 9 months (definitely more than half a year between BCT, OCS, and OBC/BOLC).  You can't go if you're pregnant.  You will have a chance of being mobilized/deployed.  You'll lose at LEAST one weekend a month - but pr

• I joined the Reserves at 26 years old with a 6 year old and a 4 year old.  I was enlisted, not officer.  My experience will vary a bit from what yours will be.  I was supposed to be away for training for 4 1/2 months.  However, my b

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for all the information. It is very helpful.  It is nice to hear a first-hand experience and get a taste of what trainig/drill will be like throughout the year.

If I decide to join, it will be after baby number 2 and I'm no

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I enlisted at 25. I went through basic and ait and then I went through OCS. OCS is very tough and much  more physically demanding than Basic. I actually ended up with a stress fracture in my hip because of it. It was also a very stressful time in

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"