October 2011 Moms
Options

S/O Education

At DS's daycare the kids move from the baby room to the toddler room at approximately 18 mos. However, the move is dependent on the kid having the necessary skill set as well as room in the toddler class to take another child. I spoke with a kindergarten teacher and a K-6 teacher that are friends and both agreed that they thought DS needed to move up to the next level. I emailed the director yesterday about moving DS since he is almost 18 mos, wants to be with the older kids, and seems plenty advanced enough to make the move. I haven't heard back from her yet and it is upsetting me (yes, I know it has been < 24 hrs but...).

I think that the longer DS stays in the baby room, the more his development is being hindered. I am OK with waiting a few weeks but I guess I am worried that they won't move him for months due to lack of room in the toddler class. Given what his teachers have said, I took it to imply that there may not be room in the toddler room right now. His assistant teacher did think DS had mastered all of the skills he would need. BTW, DS is the oldest kid in the baby class right now by at least 3 mos. I don't even think the next oldest kid in the baby class is walking yet.

What are your thoughts on this?

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: S/O Education

• Options
    What are the requirements for moving up? If there isn't room to move him then its not going to happen so you're going to have to decide whether to find a new daycare or not. I don't think him being in a baby room is going to keep him from developing on tr
  • Options
    Also, I would be more concerned with moving him too soon than him staying in the younger room depending on the age range in the next room. There is a huge difference socially and developmentally between a 17 month old and he could get overwhelmed or not b
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love email and will avoid talking to people as often as I can, but this sounds like a phone call situation to me. I would call or stop in to speak to the director. And I wouldn't worry that you've already emailed. You could simply say, "I sent an email,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD's daycare moves them to the toddler room between 12-15 months (usually closer to 15, as was the case with DD).

When DD was about 14 months, she became the oldest in the infant room and I felt she started regressing, at least at daycare.

• Options

Ms. Jade, that is a very good point and I think I will call tomorrow if I have not heard from her by then.

Fian, that is exactly how I am feeling about DS right now. 

Cantalopes, I understand what you are saying about

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesmit5009:

Ms. Jade, that is a very good point and I think I will call tomorrow if I have not heard from her by then.

<
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"