May 2013 Moms

Fetal hiccups, cause for concern?

I googled I know. Bad idea. I'm starting to learn the Internet is filled with more negative than positive ones. But she's been having hiccups about twice a day lasting about 5 mins. NBD? Or cause for concern? I've seen cord compression nuchal cord all these things to make a anxious FTM even more worried. Just seeing what other moms with experience have a say on this.

Re: Fetal hiccups, cause for concern?

• My LO has hiccups all the time, and I know other moms who have had their babies who had lots of fetal hiccups (and baby hiccups a lot on the outside, too). I don't think it's a big deal.

First M/C - March 2006, pregnancy not known about.
    BFP#1 03/17/12 DD 11/09/12 Missed MC 05/14/12 (No growth past 9wk1d) D&C 05/22/12
    Removal of Ovarian Cyst 07/27/12
    BFP#2 09/17/12 DD 05/29/13 STICK BABY STICK!

PgAL MARCH SIGGY CHALLENGE: PET SHAMING

imageBabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I don't think it's a big deal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just asked this at my last doctor's appointment because my LO gets them almost everyday and sometimes twice a day.   They told me it's normal and not to worry.  I also read that hiccups helps prepare their lungs for birth.   <br
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My 2nd dd had hiccups multiple times a day during 3rd tri, prob during the whole pregnancy but I only felt during 3rd. Anyhow she's a healthy 17 mo old now. I never even knew it was cause for concern... gl.
    3 *GIRLS* UNDER 3!! BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little guy gets hiccups basically everyday. Sometimes he hiccups more than other days but so does everyone else. I hiccup a lot, and he's been getting the hiccups about twice a day on average(: I never thought of it as a problem I like it haha
    IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • Not a big deal.
  • I say it's no big deal....
  • Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I wouldn't worry about this.
  • It would be a cause for concern if your LO never hiccuped. They are a good thing because it means your LO is practicing breathing, sucking, and swallowing.
  • I've heard countless moms complain about hiccups. I think you're OK.
  • NBD... This LO has hiccups 2 or 3 times a day.
    ETA, I get regular ultrasounds too, so if it was an issue it would have been addressed by now.
  • Google had scared me once again lol thanks for all your input. I should really stop consulting the Internet.
  • Every doctor, pregnancy book and mom that I've talked to (or read) said it is completely normal.  They are learning how to breathe once they get into the air breathing world. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• My LO gets hiccups all the time... so did the first two. NBD. My doctor always told me that hiccups help develop the diaphragm and helps LO breathe.
  • Mine is having them now and she's had them 3xs today!
  • What do these feel like? Idk if I'm having them or not
  • Hiccups were a concern for me even early on in my pregnancy. Both the ultrasound tech and doctor told me that it is actually good for baby's lungs.

• KLJ3KLJ3 member
    I freaked out about this a couple weeks ago, because LO was hiccuping several times a day for what seemed like extended periods of time. I counted over 200 hiccups in one session. Soooo, I Googled "excessive fetal hiccups" and of course one of the first

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagebakerbarre00:
    What do these feel like? Idk if I'm having them or not

My LO gets them all the time! es

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKLJ3:
    I freaked out about this a couple weeks ago, because LO was hiccuping several times a day for what seemed like extended perio
  • imagebakerbarre00:

Mine feel like a tapping sensa
  • imagebakerbarre00:

They are like little pops, evenl

Pregnancy Ticker

• Uh, no big deal.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My two cents?  I've seen that info on the internet too, but I've never heard it from my doctor, read it in the half-dozen pregnancy books I've blown through, or heard it from a friend/ other mom, so I just don't think it's true.

imageimageimageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I feel it! I thought it was light kicks but now I can tell its hiccups
  • imageTradeMama:
    My LO gets hiccups all the time... so did the first two. NBD. My doctor always told me that hiccups help develop th
    Mommy of 3 beautiful boys!
    image.
  • imoanimoan member
    And if there were no hiccups or a few hiccups a day... you'd be obsessing over that too.  I know I've said this 9 million times on this board, but... DON'T BORROW TROUBLE!  And stay the hell away from Google. And I don't say that in a "teehee...
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"