Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

hitting!!!!

My 18 month old is hitting wayyyy to much... when i tell him thats not nice, he laughs and then kisses me. He mostly hits me when he doesn't get his way . I would say 9 times out of ten he hits me then kisses me or hugs me, so i know he knows it's wrong. Any suggestions?! The only thing ive tried is telling him that its not nice ( in a stern voice) and i have tried crying when he does it to make him see that it hurts me...any suggestions would be appreciated
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hitting!!!!

• ns1ns1 member
    Sorry, no help, just commiseration.  At least your LO hugs / kisses afterward.  That's a start!  I try sternly saying it's not nice like you, but like you, DD usually laughs.  I also have tried showing her how to have "nice hands," but
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • P&T11P&T11 member
    Same here. LO laughs every time he hits and "gentle" usually leads to more hits and laughing.  He has also started biting and thinks it is just as funny.  I can't wait to hear suggestions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Time out? I'm not a time out for everything gal but hitting and biting are time out issues for me. I don't think he can full understand that it hurts you or why he shouldn't do it but he is able to understand he's not supposed to do it. I would put him in

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • time for time out- most day care centers will put children at that age in time out for hitting/biting/hair pulling. 
  • We have the same problem.  She hits when she doesnt get her way (hits herself, us, furniture...whatever is around).  We have been doing time outs for hitting.  She gets it for a minute in a half.  Then after we talk to her about why sh
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageP&T11:
    Same here. LO laughs every time he hits and "gentle" usually leads to more hits and laughing.  He has also sta
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"