February 2012 Moms
Options

Insurance?

DH had an unexpected job offer come up and we are in the process of weighing our options to decide whether he should take it or not. Right now, I am the primary bread winner in our family and hold our only insurance. DH makes decent money and takes care of our rent, but I pay everything else (utilities, car payments, insurance, etc.)

I pay 124.00 a month total for our family for medical, vision, and dental. We don't have a copay and our deductible is 500.00/year for the 3 of us combined. My maternity care and delivery were covered 100%. I know this is basically unheard of, which is what makes it so hard to give up.

However, my job is very stressful and I'm away from my family way more than I'd like. This new job would more than double his income and allow me to work part-time somewhere while my children are small, which I've always dreamed of. We got the info on the coverage for his potential new job, and for a family he'd be paying 570.00 a month. Is this about average? I know I've just been really spoiled at my current job, but I don't want to give up a good thing for something that will end up being a rip-off. I'll feel a lot better if I know whether this is normal or not.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Insurance?

• Options

DH carries our insurance, it is $150 a WEEK, no copay $500 deductible then 80/20 until we hit our out of pocket. (the rate is medical/dental/vision)

I would say $570 is not too bad of a cost per month...would that additional cost allow you to s

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    Is there a deductible and copays?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a similar type of insurance as you at my job, and I am currently the breadwinner as well.  We recently switched to DH's insurance so that I can move to part time for next year, and his is significantly more expensive.  I believe it

• Options
    I carry our insurance. For the family plan we pay $381 (guess they needed that extra $1) out of each paycheck and I get paid twice a month, so $762/month. We do not have to meet a deductible and we do have copays, but they aren't terrible. I would sa
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Options
    imageMrMrsandBaby:

DH carries our insurance, it is $150 a WEEK, no copay $500 deductible then 80/20 until we hit our out of pock

• Options

imagetittytwistertortoises:
    Is there a deductible and copays?

There is no deductible as long as we stay

• Options
    imagek3montel:

I had a similar type of insurance as you at my job, and I am currently the breadwinner as well.  We recent

• Options
    Based on everything you mentioned, I say go for it!  If it is a good fit for your DH and he is comfortable making the move DO IT!!!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    At H's old job we paid 800 a month!!! He starts a new new job Monday and it will be 300 a month for the 3 us. It was ridiculous, but I was working part time and loved it, so it worked out for us. Your insurance sounds great, but if you can swing the part
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, ladies. I really appreciate it. The job is a better fit for DH and I think he'll be much happier there. We'll be working opposite shifts, but since I'll be able to go PT, it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Options

I would go for it.  My DH's job covers the insurance and we don't pay a monthly premium.  But if I were to carry the family it would be $240.93 permonth and the family deductible would be $750 per person or $2,250 max for the family with $30

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    To me, 570 is great! My husband works for a small company. For our family to be covered it would be over $800 a month. Which is outrageous! Hubs is on his companies insurance, but my daughter and I are on a private policy. That policy alone is 297.00 a mo
  • Options

I totally understand where you are coming from.  I was a full-time teacher with amazing benefits and went part time this year.  My husband works weird hours, 7 days on 7days off.  The schedule works well for both of us.  Our insuran

• Options
    imagessimon621:

I would go for it.  My DH's job covers the insurance and we don't pay a monthly premium.  But if I wer

• Options

I carry our insurance (for all 3 of us).

Medical is $210 biweekly, dental is $40 biweekly and vision isn't an option (but our employers each reimburse up to $200/year for exam/glasses per year)

Our deductible is $300 per person, and we

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options
    I only work because I carry our insurance. We aren't able to get it through H's employer because it's a small firm and his boss is not legally required to provide. Through my employer, we pay 800/month with a 5000 deductible. It's horrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagen8swife:
    I only work because I carry our insurance. We aren't able to get it through H's employer because it's a small firm and his
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"