Natural Birth
Options

Newbie with Lamaze/Bradley question

Hello!  I am a FTM who is 20 weeks pregnant with our first child.  I am strongly contemplating trying for a natural birth.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has gone natural amongst my friends.  The only person I know to have done it is my mom.  She recommends that if I think I want to try it that I should go through a natural birthing class.  When I look into them, though, they all seem to run $300 or more.  I don't mind to pay it if it is really that helpful, but I don't have anyone who has taken this class to let me know if it is worth it or not.  Plus, I worry that if I pay to take the class and then decide during labor that I want an epidural then I will feel like I wasted all that money.  Does anyone have any advice?  I would like to hear from people who have and have not done classes and whether you felt they were worthwhile and/or whether you feel they made a difference in you successfully achieving natural childbirth.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newbie with Lamaze/Bradley question

• Options
    I haven't given birth yet, but in the Bradley classes I took they went over a whole lot more than just going through labor with no interventions. It helped to get my bf more involved in the pregnancy, plus I got a great support group from taking that class. I highly recommend the bradley classes and if not at least the books, they help a lot
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    I took the Bradley classes and loved them.  They were a little intense as they are 12 weeks long.  They covered a lot of materiel and went into relaxation/pain coping techniques which was great.  They also taught H how to be an awesome labor coach.  I completely attribute the class to my successful birth.  I was prepared and educated for childbirth so I never freaked out or was scared.  I thought the classes were well worth the 200$ we paid.  IMO education is the key to having a successful natural birth.  Some women need classes and others do not. If you can read up on natural birth and read positive birth stories on your own time to prepare then you will be fine.  If you think you need classes as you want to interact/talk with others about birth and what to expect then take classes.  Evalute which type of person you are and then decide if classes are for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a STM and my first birth was completely natural in hospital with a doula and OB. This birth will be in a birthing center with a doula and a midwife.

I never did any birthing classes - just intensive meetings with our doula to prepare and A LOT of reading. I feel like with the materials I read, combined with our doula's guidance, I had more than I needed to support me. 

I would suggest reading Ina May Gaskin's books, both the Guide to Childbirth AND Spiritual Midwifery. Spiritual Midwifery is more technical and geared as a guide to actual Midwives, but I found it really helpful to know what was going on. 

This time around I am reading Hypnobirthing, but won't be following the classes, and also re-reading both Ina May books. 

It is possible to have a natural birth without classes, but probably depends on your personality too. I hate group settings, and probably wouldn't get much out of a group class, so I never even considered it. Think about how you learn best to help evaluate if the $$$ is worth it for you. 

• Options

Our classes (Bradley-like) were awesome. I figured I either wanted the classes or a doula and felt like the classes were a bitter fit so DH could be involved, learn everything also, and the info I learned would last me for future kids too. A doula would have cost as much or more than the classes.

Remember, even if you get an epidural, you don't get it the minute contractions start. There's plenty of time in labor when knowing coping strategies will be really useful. Even if knowing how to cope means you can delay getting an epidural, being further progressed means the epidural will have a lower likelihood of slowing down your labor and you ending up with a c-section. So it's not an all-or-nothing thing where you won't use the info with an epidural.

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are two meetings into our Bradley classes and we love it.  Ours were $300 as well and I'd say it's well worth it.  I had a crying meltdown when I heard the cost of the classes (Hypnobirth in my area is $500!).  I was super stressed about finances but it was important enough to me to be as prepared as possible that I signed us up.  I love that it involves the father in a coach role, it's helping my husband feel a lot more important in the process, and it's bonding us even closer too.  Even just the interaction with other moms-to-be has been great.  I find the classes really informative, even though I've done a lot of reading and research on my own previously.  All this to say, I would go for it.  I really don't think you'll regret the investment.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm 5 weeks into the Bradley classes and I love it. My husband is unable to attend due to deployment but the teacher is also a doula so after the first two weeks of class we decided to hire her to doula for us.

As for the cost, I know it's not cheap, but I figure that I paid almost $2000 for a wedding coordinator to make my wedding less stressful so a few hundred dollars for some guidance through birth sounds like a steal!

• Options

I'm due in 3 weeks but we also did Bradley classes.  Not only does it talk through stages of childbirth, but it also goes over breastfeeding, nutrition, and ways to help you stay healthy throughout your pregnancy.  DH and I learned how to work really well as a team which was probably the best thing of all.  

We actually talked about epis a bit in our class because ya know what, there are times when they are totally useful. Of course that isn't the primary pain coping technique we practiced nor is it the goal of the class but I think that having a healthy awareness of its benefits and risks is perfectly acceptable.  It puts the knowledge into your hands and helps you decide.

Even if I knew I wanted an epi, I would have taken some sort of class because epis don't always work as advertised and I would have hated to be one of those people who had an unintentionally unmedicated birth and were totally unable to handle what was coming their way.  I am hoping to be able to have my baby without the need for drugs but I won't consider myself a failure in any way if I do decide that is what is best for me.   

• Options
    We paid $300 for our Bradley Method class and I would do it again in a heartbeat. My husband said the same thing. We were worried about the money before the class, but it's the best money we've spent in a long, long time. I highly recommend the Bradley Method classes. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"