December 2010 Moms
Options

#2 can't put himself to sleep...

Ugh, I don't know what to do. For the past couple of weeks Benji has been waking up and is completely unable to go back to bed. He has been STTN since he was 2.5 months old, but now it's just terrible. We feed him, we rock him, he falls asleep...put him in the crib, he's wide awake and crying. When we are so tired we can't stand it anymore, one of us brings him downstairs to his swing and we sleep on the couch. It's a terrible habit, we know, but we are so tired. I have no idea how to break him of needing the swing to sleep now. This is all new territory, because at 6 months old, Alexander was flipping onto his stomach and had no problem putting himself to sleep. Benji can't do that yet, so he is still in the swaddle.I know I'm supposed to be putting him to bed "sleepy but not asleep" but seriously. Do these people want me to never sleep again?

I am especially scared because I go back to work in a few weeks and I neeeeeed him to be better!

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: #2 can't put himself to sleep...

• Options
    Sorry you're dealin with this. This is flame worthy, but will be sleep on his belly? If so, I'd invest in an Angelcare monitor and sleep him on his stomach. That was the only way I could get Evan to sleep when he was little! Good luck!
  • Options

Sounds like a sleep regression. I'd recommend flipping through Healthy Sleep Habit Happy Child for some tips. This book has sections on each age group so you can just go staight to the right one.

We did sleep training at 4 months old with our Pe

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member

I second Health Sleep Habits blah blah blah.  In your sleep deprived state you can just skip to the age appropriate section and read the sections on night sleep versus napping.  Baby 411 also has a short section on sleep and summarizing the d

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

Have you done any sleep training?  Does B eat in the MOTN still?  I would ween from MOTN feedings and the swaddle (even if hes not roll).  We did sleep training with B around 5.5 months I think and its been pretty great since.  He h

• Options
    I third (fourth?) the HSHHC book. We did sleep training with Ava at five months and it was tough, but oh-so-worth-it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Another vote for sleep training.

We did CIO with both kids at 4-5 months. Besides getting everyone more sleep I feel like it teaches them the amazing skill of putting themselves to sleep.

With Jonny he went down to 1 night feeding until 6

• Options

He doesn't really wake to eat, so I'm lucky in that regard. He seems to wake up when he breaks out of the swaddle and then has trouble getting back to sleep.

If you did wean a child from the swaddle, how did you do it? What is your opinion on gi

• Options

Benny has one of those little lovely things in the crib with him. He also has a small stuffed animal in there. And he's in a sleep sack (no big blanket yet).

He's such a wild roller in his sleep that I'm not really worried that he's going to get

• Options
    imagejillybean800:
    He doesn't really wake to eat, so I'm lucky in that regard. He seems to wake up when he breaks out of the swaddle and
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    C's pedi gave us the okay to start the small lovey at 6 months, but like TMNT's B, C was a wild sleeper so no chance that thing was staying anywhere near his mouth.  Maybe call and ask if they are okay with it?  Also, we swaddle-weaned very earl
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We used the swing for a while too. We did baby whisperer at 5 and a half months. I knew he wouldn't have responded well to cry it out alone. We took him out of the swaddle at the same time and gave him an a and a lovey. They are breathable so we felt sa
  • Options

Thanks everyone! We had a good night last night.

I think here is my plan of attack...I'm going to start weaning from the swing by putting him in for naps, but turning it off. That way he is cuddled but not moving.

I am going back to work i

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"