Natural Birth
Options

being induced due to pih--little long

this is my first post after lurking almost all pregnancy. i really wanted/want to deliver naturally --taking bradley, and hired a doula. most of pregnancy was going well until about 35 weeks when i was put on bed rest due to elevated bp. i was hospitalized once when it was 201/101 (standing bp) and kept for 2 days observation. other than that time its been 130s/80s for the most part (a couple of 140s but came down after a few minutes). i've done two 24 hr collections and both came under pre e levels. no other symptons--swelling minimal due to bed rest i believe.

today my ob indicated that she wanted to see me again monday and we are looking at inducing on wed when i will be exactly 39 weeks. bp was 143/98 then came down to 138/80. i'm torn. i understand she doesnt want to take the risk of pih turning into pree, but i dont feel my body is ready at all. no bh contractions, mucus plug, etc. she said im 2 cm and my cervix is softening--but i'm not sure that if favorable enough. i guess we will see on monday but how do i turn down inducing if i dont feel its right? or should i just induce?

Re: being induced due to pih--little long

• Options

I was induced due to PreE at 39 weeks with DS.  My BP started to go up at 37 weeks, and by 38 weeks it was pretty clear that it was turning into PreE (spilling protein, crazy swelling, etc).  My OBs were comfortable with not inducing unless m

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options

I personally would be comfortable declining induction with the information you have given here. One high bp is not nearly enough for me to change birth plans, especially if it came back down. What were your normal bps before they went up some?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I understand not wanting to be induced.  However, I don't think PIH should be messed around with.  And if you do end up with Pre E, you might need magnesium during labor, and I've heard that is no fun at all. 

I would research ind

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ditto pp. As someone who had HELLP, you can go from fine to really sick in such a short amount of time. I wouldn't mess around w/ PIH. I hate to be a debby downer but being hospitalized for it already and having bp that is on the high side aren't good

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice--- I certainly don't want to risk my babys health but dont want unnecessary interventions (which come with their own risks as well). I don't feel my bp is terribly high --'been borderline the past few weeks. I think we
  • Options
    AmyRIAmyRI member

From what you said here, you have high-normal BP and not high BP or PIH. Did they do bloodwork? I forget what the ratio is they're looking for, but when I went through the exact same thing (140s/90 was the highest reading) I was sent for a NST, monitor

#3 Due April 2016
  • Options

I was induced due to pih, however, I refused induction until after 40 weeks gestation because the lab work and meds that I was on showed that there was no problem.
    With my induction, I had 2 rounds of cervidil, a Foley catheter, and then
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"