High-Risk Pregnancy

Progesterone shots questions

Sorry if this has been posted before.  But my Dr is recommending progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor.  Any side effects?  Any places to go for information on the web you recommend?  I'm trying to gather info so I can make a educated decision.  She is not saying I have to have them but that it is a good option.  I only made it to 34 weeks with my last baby.  Thank you!
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Progesterone shots questions

• My only side-effect was localized itching and soreness at the injection site. The alternative is a daily suppository which really stinks. 
  • I had no side effects at all.  I even got my DH to come in and observe a nurse so that he could give me my shots at home.  It avoided a weekly office visit.  I can tell you that with my first pregnancy, I was dilated 6cm by week 33.  For my second pregnancy, when I received the shots, I was only dilated 2cm by week 33.  So, still dilated but it was much less.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first came at 33 weeks so I was recommended them as well and did opt to get them.  I've gotten 9 (I think so far).  In doing research and talking to my dr I found that they are new to the market for this, while they've been used earlier in pregnancy for miscarriage, they are new for preterm labor and the studies indicate that they are about 30% effective in preventing or delaying preterm labor.  I in the end decided that was better than a NICU baby, but I will say, because of the success rate my insurance doesn't cover them all the way and our portion is a couple of hundred a month.  I had to leavemy first at the hospital for 4 days and I was devistated so I want to avoid that at all costs.  As far as the side effects, just a PIA!   I have a home health nurse that comes to the house and gives me the injections and some weeks it feels like a dog took a chunk of me out, other weeks I barely feel it.  Some week I bruise and bleed, other weeks nothing.  I've read of people having other side effects, but I've been fine...all things considered.  Best of luck!
  • I had ds1 at 34 wks. So I had the shots with ds2. Lots of itching and soreness at the injection site. Got worst the more shots I had. I still had lots of preterm contractions but ds wasn't born to 39 wks. So totally worth an itchy bum.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had my DD at 35 weeks due to pPROM that was likely caused by my cervix (which had been shortening/funneling since about 22w).

With DS I started the shots at 16 weeks and had them until 36.  I still dilated early (4cm at 35 weeks, 6+cm when I was induced at 39w4d) but the shortening/funneling started later and I had a full term baby.

I had some pain at the injection site and a lot of swelling which the OB and MFM told me can be a symptom in some women. 

My DH learned to give me the shot so that I didn't have to go to weekly appts.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• My first was a 34 weeker. I did the p17 with my 2nd and she was born at 39weeks 5 days. Perfection. I am opting to do the shots again this time. My sister didn't do the shots and ended up with a lot of complications with number 3(she also had a 34 wk). She said if she had to decide all over again she'd definitely do them. I didn't have any side effects except a bit of soreness at the injection site. I blame my Dh for that though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"