Baby Showers

Registry Question

Hi Baby Shower Board, 

I'm a FTM and don't post a lot. Maybe you could give me some guidance regarding my registry. I have two showers coming up and would like to complete my registries soon. As of now, I have a a lot small basic items. I've also registered for larger items, 2 strollers (travel system and jogger), two carseats (infant and convertible). 

I'm thinking about registering for a really beautiful wood high chair (a want, not a need) and possibly a double electric breast pump (a need for when I return to work).

All in all, I have about 65 items on the registry. Lowest price item is $6. Highest price item is $200. If I add the breast pump, it would be $250 or so. The high chair is around the same. My dilemma is that we can afford all of this on our own and I'm feeling that some things (breast pump? car seats?) should be the responsibility of the parents.

Does this sound too extravagant? Too gift grabby?! Be honest.

Thanks!

ETA: Is it too early to consider a breast pump? Should I wait until closer to the birth or even after our baby is born?

Missed miscarriage D&C May 2011, Missed miscarriage D&C October 2011 Expecting a baby girl in 2013!

Re: Registry Question

• Great point. I forgot to add that my insurance only covers a manual pump with a doctor note unless medically necessary. Since I will be working full time, a manual doesn't sound like it will do the trick.
    Missed miscarriage D&C May 2011, Missed miscarriage D&C October 2011 Expecting a baby girl in 2013!
  • imageMandJS:

imagebesoul:
    Great point. I forgot to add that my insurance only covers a manual pump with a doctor note unless medically necessary. Since I will be working full time, a manual doesn't sound like it will do the trick.

I'd still get it as a back up, but yeah. That's not going to fly. Definitely keep the pump (if you get it in advance) in the box with receipt until your LO arrives though. Just in case it DOES become medically necessary for your insurance to give you a better one.  

Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll put the electric pump on and see what happens. I'll definitely get the manual as a back up. Maybe my coworkers will go in on the electric pump as a gift to make sure I get back to work! Smile

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think your list sounds extravagant at all.  65 items is not too many (I often see closer to 100 or more), and as long as you have items in different price ranges, it gives people plenty of different options.  Even though some items are pricey, sometimes groups like to go in together for a bigger gift, or if nobody gets it, you can still use the completion item to buy it for yourself.

The only things I side eye are things that are clearly meant for the parents (electronics, etc.) and things for bigger kids (bikes, etc.).  Any supplies you'll use directly for baby in the first year are totally acceptable in my book :-) 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For what its worth...

Getting a convertible seat now is not the best idea. They do expire and since you don't need it for a while you could be losing 6-12 months of its use.

With my first son my husband really wanted a wooden high chair. What a mistake! I would never again get a high chair where the tray wasn't dishwasher safe. And food gets stuck in all the nooks and crannies. We wiped it down so much the finish got damaged. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Register for what you want and need. It's a wish list nothing more. People will buy what they want to buy and that's it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageCougFan:

For what its worth...

Getting a convertible seat now is not the best idea. They do expire and since you don't need it for a while you could be losing 6-12 months of its use.

With my first son my husband really wanted a wooden high chair. What a mistake! I would never again get a high chair where the tray wasn't dishwasher safe. And food gets stuck in all the nooks and crannies. We wiped it down so much the finish got damaged. 

Wow, this was super helpful. I appreciate the input, maybe I'll take the convertible off and save that for a later purchase. Thank you!

• In regards to having a good electric pump, I consider that a need to have the day you leave the hospital. I had some problems early on and my tiny single pump was not cutting it at all, and I was a SAHM at the time and never thought I would need a great pump. My advice would be to put it on the registry, then if you don't get it as a gift buy it at the earliest opportunity.
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageEastCoastBride:
    Register for what you want and need. It's a wish list nothing more. People will buy what they want to buy and that's it.

Unless of course you have a diaper raffle, then they go all stupid and blow their budgets, right?

While I don't exactly know what a diaper raffle is, I can 100% guarantee we are not having one. 

• imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    In regards to having a good electric pump, I consider that a need to have the day you leave the hospital. I had some problems early on and my tiny single pump was not cutting it at all, and I was a SAHM at the time and never thought I would need a great pump. My advice would be to put it on the registry, then if you don't get it as a gift buy it at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks. I appreciate your input and think that I will add it to the registry. 

• I think your registry sounds fine.  My sister has over 200 things on her registry (seriously).  

I don't always buy off the registry though. If I don't I usually get an outfit in a 2t, size a pack of size 2 or 3 diapers, and wipes.  

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Your registry sounds fine. One thing I would suggest is checking with your hospital to see if you can rent one for a couple of months. I suggest renting if you can first because bf'ing might not work for you.
  • I also think that your registry is fine. 65 is not that big count. Most of the people have  more than 100 items in their registry. But just check once all the items that you have added really worth and if you are dropping some useful things because of the high count then don?t worry you can add them also.  I think up to 80 items is really fine to have in a registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"