Adoption

How long did it take you to decide?

I know everyone is different, but lately my husband and I have been struggling with deciding whether or not to stop trying to get pregnant and head straight for adoption. Out of sheer curiosity, how long did it take you ladies from beginning the process of trying to get pregnant to make the conscious decision to stop trying and start adopting?
Male infertility issues (husband had poor SA), combined with former cervical cancer and subsequent treatment which has resulted in scar tissue and modified cervix. MY INFERTILITY BLOG http://tocarryseeds.wordpress.com/

Re: How long did it take you to decide?

• I've always thought I would adopt---as a little kid I used to pretend my dolls were adopted. Additionally, when I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's I figured I might head down the adoption path. We tried to get pregnant, mainly because it was cheaper tha
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We tried to conceive for a little over three years before deciding adoption was how we would grow our family. That included one surgery to attempt to increase fertility. We've now been saving and just applied with our agency in February, a little more tha
  • Loading the player...
  • After being told that the chances of success from IVF for us was practically 100%, and having it not work, I just knew I couldn't go through the pain of another medicated cycle.  And clearly we weren't getting pregnant on our own.  That is when
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My husband and I had always talked about the possibility of adoption, especially if I couldn't get pregnant.  We did 5 cycles of clomid, and then 2 IVF's.  Once the second IVF failed we decided that IF treatments were completely pointless and we
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We tried for a little over a year before we decided to pursue adoption and TTC simultaneously. After 2 failed clomped cycles, we decided to pursue adoption exclusively.
  • About a year and a half. I was ready before DH was. I told him we should set a timeframe where we stopped pursuing IF treatments and shifted our focus more toward adoption. We had a couple of false starts along the way (experienced another pg and m/c
  • We tried for a year before I got pregnant with my daughter, so it wasn't a big surprise that we had trouble conceiving again. It took us a year to seek IF treatment, but when DOR became obvious, we only tried two cycles of treatment before deciding it was
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • Thanks EVERYONE for your comments. I knew it was completely different per individual couple. My husband and I are currently on the brink of deciding between TTC for another 6 months or taking the plunge into adoption exclusively. Thanks again!
    Male infertility issues (husband had poor SA), combined with former cervical cancer and subsequent treatment which has resulted in scar tissue and modified cervix. MY INFERTILITY BLOG http://tocarryseeds.wordpress.com/
  • YEARS. We looked into adoption before we did any fertility treatment, but we decided to see an RE to see what was going on first. It worked for us that time, but not the second. I would say, the second time, by the third year TTC we decided that we were o
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are currently in the same place as you. Only difference is that I can get pregnant, but can't stay pregnant. When we started TTC we decided that we would seriously consider adoption after 1 year of unsuccessful TTC and/or 3 losses. So, here w

Started TTC July 2012. Missed m/c & d&c 9/12 11w. Natural m/c 1/13 6w. Chemical pgs 3/13 & 8/13 around 4w. Currently TTA while saving for adoption.

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We tried to get pregnant for 2 years before we were over it. We delayed a bit because we were apprehensive moving from the familiar to the unknown. Learning more about the process helped solidify our decision to adopt.
  • We tried for a year conventionally. We did IF testing and three iui's over the course of the next 5 months, then we moved on to adoption. So, about a year and a half?

Both of us have immediate family members who were adopted (my dad, DH's sister)

I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"