Boston Babies

Moving to the area

Hello,
I usually hang out over on Multiples and Military families, but we recently got word that DH is most likely going to be transferred to the Boston area, specifically to teach at UMass Lowell. I'm very excited because I love Boston, but I know nothing about the suburbs and surrounding area.

I would love some ideas of where to look for a house. We'd like to minimize DH's commute. I'm a city girl at heart and would love to be someplace walkable, but that's not essential. Close to the train is a major plus after two years in New Mexico I'm looking forward to the public transit of the east coast again. I have great visions of loading up the boys and heading into the city for museums, aquarium, etc.

TIA!
Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Moving to the area

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If he's going to be working in Lowell, but you want to be somewhere near the city, I'd suggest something along route 3. Winchester and Arlington are both lovely, walkable towns with decent transport into the city. They can be pricey, but we were able to get a sort of "diamond in the rough" and bought a place in Arlington last year. The surrounding towns(Woburn, Burlington, Reading, Bedford) would be good for his commute and less expensive, but more suburban.

Let me know if you have other questions! We recently bought in the area so I'm familiar with the process.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! It's helpful to have a few ideas of where to start looking.

We'll likely be renting since we'll probably only be there for two years, and we already own a house that we rent out.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • There are a bunch of great suburbs close to Lowell, but Lowell and Boston are not super close (30-40 min without traffic, and traffic in the Boston area is rough). I'd suggest a town near Lowell (Chelmsford, Westford, Littleton, Tewksbury) near the commuter rail if you want to be close to public transport to Boston. Lowell itself has some decent areas, but the schools are better in the towns surrounding Lowell.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What's your husbands idea of  a good commute? If you're looking to rent and being closer to the city is more important to you, then definitely look at East Arlington. Right over the Cambridge line, super family friendly, and right off route 3. It'd be about a 35 minute drive. (I commute 50 minutes each day so this seems light to me).
  • I agree, it's worth considering what your husband considers an "ok commute" to be.  If you live somewhere between Boston and Lowell, he'd be doing the reverse commute and that could save him some time.  Some towns along route 93 might be good, like Reading, Winchester, and Melrose, especially for schools.  Stoneham, Woburn, and Burlington are good locations and definitely affordable, but the schools might be better in the other towns I mentioned.  If you'll only be here a few years and your kids are young enough, then schools might not matter.  As for the train, there is a commuter rail stop right in Lowell with a parking garage.  But, it's about a 45 min ride from Lowell to Boston.  Other towns with stops are Reading, Winchester, Melrose, Woburn, Medford.  The commuter rail is separate from the T (the subway -- referred to as "the T" in Boston).  Sorry if you already know about a lot of this, I just wanted to mention it since you talked about "public transit".  In the suburbs, i.e. all of the towns I've mentioned, you still really need a car.  There's also other towns sort of off 495 that are worth looking at too, again, especially if you want good schools, like Andover, but you'll want to stay away from Lawrence.  I grew up in Chelmsford, right next to Lowell, and the schools are good, and so are Westford schools.  But in terms of accessibility to Boston, they're both a ways away.  Not sure if any of that helps, but I hope so.  Good luck!
  • Hi there! We just bought our house in Andover, MA a year ago. It's about 25 min from the city up 93 and 1520 min to Lowell taking backroad133 straight shot. We rented in Andover when my husband and I were in college at umass Lowell. We loved the town and all it had to offer. The train has a few stops throughout town yo take you to and from the city for visits. the town itself puts a lot if money into keeping downtown clean and there are plenty of shops and restaraunts. The prices are high to buy into the town but renting wasn't bad when we did it. Best of luck wherever you end up!
  • Oh and I agree with the above comment, stay away from Lawrence. Especially is you have kids. It's a rough city and just not worth it even if prices are dirt cheap.
  • Thanks so much for the information. It gives us some jumpingoff points and some things to consider. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the move gets closer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"