Maryland Babies

Talk to me about Time Outs...

....or other things that you use for management.  DS just turned two and his favorite word has quickly become no.  I want to say SarahKate posted something but I looked back and can not find it. 

What do you do for time outs?  I watched every marathon of Supernanny while on maternity leave, but I can't imagine DS will sit still for any amount of time, let alone two minutes.  DH is getting frustrated and I don't want to have to deal with two people acting two year olds so I am going to have to try something and get DH on board.  TIA Smile

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Talk to me about Time Outs...

• We've been putting DD in time out since she was about 15 mo. Simply if she ignores us or does something like hit or kick she goes in time out.

It usually consists of standing in a corner facing the corner for 2 minutes.We'll increase the time as

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • any kind of official "time out" never worked for us - I just couldn't be consistent or I was conflicted about what needed to be a time out or whatever. 

What I do now, and have for awhile is that we distract/redirect for regular obnoxious

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • A time out where she sits somewhere that she can see us and doesn't move did NOT work for us. We usually pick her up and carry her to her room, sit her in her bed and then leave and close the door.

She calms herself down this way and it work
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We do timeouts. We still debate about what exactly warrants a timeout, but hitting/kicking us or the cats is an automatic timeout. Other things get a warning first. We have a spot in our living room and he has to sit there for 2 mins. Sometimes he will

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • When he truly needs one, we do timed timeouts a la Supernanny, telling him what he's done and sitting him in a small chair in his room for a specified amount of time - usually 6 minutes.  He cries that he doesn't want to be there but interestingly ne
    lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • imagenezwee:

We've been putting DD in time out since she was about 15 mo. Simply if she ignores us or does something like hit or

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMegcheer2:
    A time out where she sits somewhere that she can see us and doesn't move did NOT work for us. We usually pick her u
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ras26ras26 member
    imagemrs. remy:

imageMegcheer
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We use 1-2-3 Magic on D1, who is now 4.  We started when she was 2.  The book is an easy read and implementing the idea is pretty easy too.  Its worked for us 99% of the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We do time-ins but not TOs.  Unconditional parenting (book) influenced our decision .
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"