Maryland Babies

Columbia moms help

Hi ladies,
I haven't lived in MD very long and we are looking to purchase a home here. We've been looking in Columbia, Ellicott city and surrounding areas. We think we found a house that we might put an offer on this week. It's located in Long Reach, I think in the neighborhood of Phelps Luck. It's off Tamar Stonecutter just outside of Kendall Ridge. The elementary is Waterloo, middle is Mayfield high is long reach. Our LO will not be in school for quite a few years he's 2 months today OMG!! but it's still very important for us to be in a good school system area, aafe neighborhood, erc. So, I would like to know your honest opinions of this area, neighborhood, schools, crime, etc, harsh truths please : we moved here from out of state several months ago and don't know many people so it's a little stressful making such a huge purchase without having background knowledge on neighborhoods. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you!!!

Re: Columbia moms help

• Wow, I apologize for the numerous embarrassing typos grammatical errors. I'm on my phone and it seems to have taken on a life if its own. Sorry!!
  • Overall, Columbia and Ellicott City is a great area with great schools!! However, the Long Reach/Phelps Luck area is one of the "least great" areas in the county. It's a relatively lower income area, there's section 8 housing in the vicinity, and I've hea

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Loading the player...
  • I think Waterloo, Mayfield and Long Reach are all really good schools.  I would be wary about any house that puts you in the district for Howard High though as an FYI. 

Did you drive around the area?  I think in Columbia y

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used to rent a townhome in the Long Reach area (near where the house you're looking at is) and honestly, I wouldn't want to live there long term. It wasn't one of the nicer areas in Columbia. Howard County Police also has an interactive map on their

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Thank you all for your replies, it's a huge help.  Since Longreach is so large & Tamar is a long road I thought maybe I'd try & narrow it down a bit and see if it makes a difference.  The neighborhood is just behind Tamar Meadow apts

• Thats not the neighborhood I would choose in Columbia.  Almost all Columbia schools are in the vicinity of section 8 housing, some are just nicer more low key than others.  I would look for a house that feeds to thunder hill, stevens forest, vet
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just to add I teach in Columbia and lived there for 8 years before moving this last June.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of the area. Like you said, that is an area where you go one way and it's fine and you go the other way and it's meh. I will give a shout out to Ellicott City if you are considering that. Dorsey's Search is a Columbia community but is mostly
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thank you both! We really like Dorsey's Search too. We're not pinned down to any specific area. I work from home and my husband travels for work, mostly to DC, Baltimore NoVa occasionally further requiring flights out of BWI, so we can pretty much live
  • ras26ras26 member
    It's south of Columbia, but I'll put a pitch in for the Maple Lawn community.  It's between Johns Hopkins/Gorman Rd and 216 just off of Rt. 29.  We really like it here and feel very safe.  The schools are supposed to be pretty good (we're n
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I love the maple lawn area, my OB was down that way but I think it's mostly townhomes and we're looking for a single family with a little land. We know we wont get a lot of land in these areas but we're hoping for even just around 1/4 acre.
  • ras26ras26 member

imageAmie678:
    I love the maple lawn area, my OB was down that way but I think it's mostly townhomes and we're looking for a single
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageras26:

imageAmie678:</strong
  • imagetbogirl:
    Thats not the neighborhood I would choose in Columbia.  Almost all Columbia schools are in the vicinity of secti
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBillysGrl27:

imagetbo
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I really like Dorsey and River Hill the best. In Clarksville, you will get more bang for your buck. My MIL lives in the Glenelg area of Ellicott City, which kind of technically Clarksville, and the houses are very nice out there. The school

• imageKathrynMD:
    imageBillysGrl27
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Funny - my mother lives in this neighborhood you are speaking of - off of Window Latch Way (specifically Dark Hawk Circle).  If the house is there, it is a great neighborhood, very friendly and with kids.  My mother has never had a problem an

• Wow, funny, it's actually on Dark Hawk! The immediate neighborhood is beautiful and perfect in every way. The whole community inside window latch is great. It's too bad the less desirable areas of town are so close. It's one thing to compromise closet
  • I second PP's opinion to check out the Howard County police crime stats for any area you are thinking of moving into (as well as the schools). I personally would not want to move into that area, but I would look at parts of Ellicott City and other pl
    Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKaybee44:

Personally, I really like Dorsey and River Hill the best. In Clarksville, you will get more bang for y

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageSarahKate31:
    imageKaybee44:
  • imageKaybee44:

Personally, I really like Dorsey and River Hill the best. In Clarksville, you will get more bang for your buck. My M

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Becky- It is all Ellicott City according to the post office :) Basically, they put Ellicott City on their mail or the zip anyway. 

You may be thinking of Glenwood which is a little further west. She lives on Folly Quarter right down from Gle

• oh I know where Glenelg is, I'm up and down 32 a lot lol, I just didnt realize it was still considered Ellicott City. 
  • Thank you all so much for your help. I definitely feel a little more educated about the Columbia area. We decided not to put an offer on the house and I have you guys to thank for that. I hope you don't mind if I ask your opinion on neighborhoods from tim
  • I went to a playdate today off of Owen Brown Road in Hickory Ridge and that was a nice area back there. I saw some houses for sale as well :)
  • imagemrsbecky07:

I think Waterloo, Mayfield and Long Reach are all really good schools.  I would be wary about any house th

• imageKaybee44:
    I went to a playdate today off of Owen Brown Road in Hickory Ridge and that was a nice area back there. I saw some hous
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLuvBugMom:
    imagemrsbecky07:

Pregnancy Ticker

• Funny!  But in my experience, if you didn't feel right about the house, area, etc. it wasn't your house. Your house is still out there waiting on you!  
  • This may be a little late, but I looked up where Stonecutter is and I would definitely avoid that area.  It's right near government funded housing and there is crime in that area.  There's a reason those houses are lower priced than other areas
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageLuvBugMom:
    imagemrsbecky07:
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Not too late at all.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I agree on Howard as well, although there may have been some negative comments all the reports show this as one of the best schools in the county and in the country.  We decided not t

• For reference I meant to add, this one is just outside the Dickenson Pool (near Harris Teeter)  Thanks!!
  • imageAmie678:
    Not too late at all. nbsp;I appreciate all the feedback. nbsp;I agree on Howard as well, although there may have been some
  • imagemars37810:
    imageAmie678:

Pregnancy Ticker

• Don't forget that they're rezoning the schools so double check to make sure the school will be Guilford. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"