Nurseries and Baby Gear

Safest infant car seat?

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me posting a question.  I was wanting some help in narrowing down infant car seats and stollers (preferably jogging).  I am looking for safe.  Can you guys help me with suggestions?

Re: Safest infant car seat?

• All carseats are legally required to meet the same safety standards. That said, some fit better in certain cars than others. As well, some are much more affordable than others. 

Graco Snugride, Chico Key Fit and the Britax B-Safe are some of the most popular on the market. I know that Britax makes a B-Safe that fits into the frame of the BOB jogger. I have a Britax and I love it but it's more expensive than other seats, a bit heavier and takes up a lot of room in my backseat. 

You should go to your local Buy Buy Baby/Babies R Us to try them out. Put them in your car, lift them, and play with the features.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say Orbit G2, Cybex Aton, Chicco Keyfit and Maxi Cosi Prezi as far as safety from my research. I would stay away from Graco and Britax for the infant car seat.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGirlWithTheMostCake:
    I would say Orbit G2, Cybex Aton, Chicco Keyfit and Maxi Cosi Prezi as far as safety from my research. I would stay away from Graco and Britax for the infant car seat.
    Please don't give false information. None of these companies can publish the results of the compliance testing other than pass/fail, it's not permitted in Canada or the US. So if you've found research that says otherwise, it's likely not federally compliant (ie consumer reports). Otherwise, post the links. 

The safest seat is one that fits the child properly, fits well with the make and model of car, is installed correctly, and is being used correctly.

None of the seats you listed are any less safe than the others. 

I would say Orbit G2, Cybex Aton, Chicco Keyfit and Maxi Cosi Prezi as far as safety from my research. I would stay away from Graco and Britax for the infant car seat.

Based on what? Britax infant seats get very high safety ratings and are extremely user friendly.

https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=179754

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with all of the above. No one seat is safer than any other.  Get what you like and what features are important to you and make sure it's a good fit for your vehicles.  We have the Chicco Keyfit 30 and I love that seat.
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • All seats pass the exact same pass/fail tests to be safe and beyond a pass/fail grade no scores are released. Any company claiming to be the safest on the market is simply making claims in the hopes people don't look further. My biggest bit of advice is to go to your local babies r us or buy buy baby and try them in your car. See what fits best, and see what one you personally find easiest to use (and opinions on that will vary from person to person). The easier you find it to use the more likely you are to use it correctly 100% of the time, which is the most critical factor in the safety of a seat.

I will say I had a graco snugride with my kids that I was glad is expiring because it wasn't well cushioned and both of my kids screamed nonstop in the car until we moved to a convertible. I ended up choosing a chicco keyfit because it has a taller shell (my kids are tall with long torsos), decent weight limit (unlikely to be an issue as most kids outgrow seats for height first) and MIL and I got a good deal on a discontinued fabric (MIL bought it as a new baby gift). I likely lost a little bit of time before the expiration date  on buying a discontinued fabric, but this will be my last baby so it's not a concern.

I was also looking at the peg perego seat, the cybex aton, other models of the graco snugride (there are patterns that are better padded than the one I had) and the safety first onboard air.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a Graco Sugride and think it is an absolute PITA to use.  The straps and buckles don't adjust well, or evenly, and it doesn't appear as safe as our convertable.  We switched my LO to a convertable at 3.5 months because she hated it as well.  It isn't any less safe than other seats, but my personal experience was that it was a huge pain and I am very happy not to be using it any longer!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Chicco Keyfit 30 is, I believe, the best selling.  It offers an excellent value.  I used this and attached it to my Bob jogging stroller using the Chicco-specific adapter.  Mind you, this was not a cost-saving measure by any means. :) But it enabled me to take DD for walks when she was a newborn without having to purchase a full size stroller.

I have no plans to purcahse a full size stroller so if that IS something you intend to get AND you don't plan to jog with LO before LO is 6 months then you won't need an adaptor for the jogging stroller.

Both DD and I loved the CHicco Keyfit 30...and we love our BOB ;)

• Thanks everyone. The information you provided helps. I kept seeing adds for 1 rated easiest to use, but nothing about safety or safest shall I say. I guess the info above answers why. You guys have helped me out.
  • imagegimmietimmies:

imageGirlWithTheMostCake:
    Please don't give false information. None of these companies can publish the results of the compliance testing other than pass/fail, it's not permitted in Canada or the US. So if you've found research that says otherwise, it's likely not federally compliant (ie consumer reports). Otherwise, post the links. 

The safest seat is one that fits the child properly, fits well with the make and model of car, is installed correctly, and is being used correctly.

You are wrong. My facts are based on the construction of the seat and how the companies make the seats. To start MOST, not all, American companies will find the price point that consumers want to pay and make a seat by backing into that price which is compliant of course but at the minimum. Since European cars require less stringent compliance for the vehicle than US vehicles do, their seats actually have to be constructed a little better than ours. Also in Europe it generally isn't a price thing. People pick the safer seat and the price that it is, it is. So I can say on a general basis you will find that most European seats are better constructed. Graco and similar brands are on the lower end. Yes, they're compliant but they are lower. I personally feel that when Britax was sold and put out their new items, not their existing toddler seats, they lacked on construction. It became a numbers game if you ask me from a business standpoint and from an engineering standpoint and I am saying that bc I'm married to an engineer who is obsessed with this stuff. I also think it's safe to assume and actually common sense that any product made using a material that is proven to be more energy absorbing, will absorb more energy in a collision. So EPP foam is superior to EPS foam. I only know of 2 seats that use all EPP foam. Some of other seats that I mentioned have other features designed to absorb more energy in a crash that the others simply don't have. I'll take the effort and the features over not having them ANY DAY. So yes I'd never put my own kid in a Graco because my research points to the fact that the other seats I mentioned (including Chicco for various reasons) are simply better. And not better for me to install or for me to carry around, better for my child in the car. Clearly the seat needs to fit best ins someone's vehicle too or it's useless but I figured that goes without saying. OH AND for toddler car seats, Clek is publishing the results of Foonf, so I'm fairly certain they CAN publish them. They choose not to. So when someone asks for an opinion, I'm happy to give my educated one. Saying that none are better is like saying all strollers or cribs are created the same. They all pass the same minimums, but some are just better for various reasons.

imagegimmietimmies:

You are wrong. My facts are based on the construction of the seat and how the companies make the seats. To start MOST, not all, American companies will find the price point that consumers want to pay and make a seat by backing into that price which is compliant of course but at the minimum. Since European cars require less stringent compliance for the vehicle than US vehicles do, their seats actually have to be constructed a little better than ours. Also in Europe it generally isn't a price thing. People pick the safer seat and the price that it is, it is. So I can say on a general basis you will find that most European seats are better constructed. Graco and similar brands are on the lower end. Yes, they're compliant but they are lower. I personally feel that when Britax was sold and put out their new items, not their existing toddler seats, they lacked on construction. It became a numbers game if you ask me from a business standpoint and from an engineering standpoint and I am saying that bc I'm married to an engineer who is obsessed with this stuff. I also think it's safe to assume and actually common sense that any product made using a material that is proven to be more energy absorbing, will absorb more energy in a collision. So EPP foam is superior to EPS foam. I only know of 2 seats that use all EPP foam. Some of other seats that I mentioned have other features designed to absorb more energy in a crash that the others simply don't have. I'll take the effort and the features over not having them ANY DAY. So yes I'd never put my own kid in a Graco because my research points to the fact that the other seats I mentioned (including Chicco for various reasons) are simply better. And not better for me to install or for me to carry around, better for my child in the car. Clearly the seat needs to fit best ins someone's vehicle too or it's useless but I figured that goes without saying. OH AND for toddler car seats, Clek is publishing the results of Foonf, so I'm fairly certain they CAN publish them. They choose not to. So when someone asks for an opinion, I'm happy to give my educated one. Saying that none are better is like saying all strollers or cribs are created the same. They all pass the same minimums, but some are just better for various reasons.

Like I said, link, or it didn't happen. I'm not saying that there are some that don't perform better under certain test parameters, but claiming that they are unsafe is false. The seats that are marketed in Canada are not the same seats as the US, nor are they the same seats as Europe, they all have to adhere to different regulations. If you've got an educated opinion, great, but unless you're involved in the testing or design (or your dh is a child seat engineer as opposed to structural or civil), forgive me if I ask you to back up what you're saying. Crash statistics based on injuries and fatalities do not show any of these seats underperforming when used correctly. I have linked these on threads in the past, so if you have something to add, please do. 
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Like I said, link, or it didn't happen. I'm not saying that there are some that don't perform better under certain test parameters, but claiming that they are unsafe is false. The seats that are marketed in Canada are not the same seats as the US, nor are they the same seats as Europe, they all have to adhere to different regulations. If you've got an educated opinion, great, but unless you're involved in the testing or design (or your dh is a child seat engineer as opposed to structural or civil), forgive me if I ask you to back up what you're saying. Crash statistics based on injuries and fatalities do not show any of these seats underperforming when used correctly. I have linked these on threads in the past, so if you have something to add, please do. 

Huh? Who said a seat is UNSAFE? Saying that one can be defined as better, does not mean another seat is UNSAFE and I don't think anyone said that.  I simply said some seats are better based on their construction / materials. That should go without saying. It's pretty much common sense. It's the same for any product in any industry. There are higher end and lower end, whether it's cars, furniture etc. And I don't mean name brand, I mean things that are even better than average quality. If you don't have access to crash results, you can deduce to the best of your ability if a seat is better based upon the materials used and how those specific materials rate. The difference between EPP and EPS foam which is something I mentioned above is HUGE and if someone is researching better quality for impact, I don't believe that is something that should be taken lightly. Anyone can put their child in any seat they choose and know it passed some minimum safety, but putting all the eggs in the minimum requirements basket is something I have chosen not to personally do. I read on this board regularly where new parents are told repeatedly that all seats are created equal and that's just not true.

• imagegimmietimmies:

I vote all seats are equal.  Some are more comfortable, prettier, or name brand. As long as it's installed properly you should be good to go. I was in TWO accidents (not my fault) and both times DD was in a graco (1st a snug ride, 2nd a myride) and she was unharmed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I wish I had a link or could find the study but I remember reading that the actual differences between seats, even if you look at today's seats vs somewhat older safety standards is pretty small. The seats themselves don't do all that much, it's mostly about attaching the kid to the car which is what actually absorbs the impact, not so much the seat which is quitelightweight and therefor no matter what kind of fancy stuff it has on it can only do so much.Which would be why getting one that fits in the car is the most important. Like I said, wish I could find the link.
  • The most popular seats are as follows:

Chicco Keyfit30

Graco Snugride35

Britax B-Safe

They are rated high for ease of use.  They don't make unsafe car seats. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imagegimmietimmies:

This.  I actually researched everything on NHTSA (they all passed), Consumer Reports, & Baby Bargains.  The three recommended on Consumer Reports were the Chicco Keyfit 30, Safety 1st onBoard 35, and  Graco Snugride 32.  Those were the seats I looked at when I got a seat for DS.  As long as it fits your car and is installed properly it is safe. 

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • imagebethanyreese:
    imagegimmietimmies:

This.  I actually researched everything on NHTSA (they all passed), Consumer Reports, & Baby Bargains.  The three recommended on Consumer Reports were the Chicco Keyfit 30, Safety 1st onBoard 35, and  Graco Snugride 32.  Those were the seats I looked at when I got a seat for DS.  As long as it fits your car and is installed properly it is safe. 

Consumer Reports is not a good source for car safety products. The standards they use for testing are inconsistent at  best and half of what they have tested were seats that were incorrectly installed in scenarios that would not happen in real life.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    imagebethanyreese:
    imagegimmietimmies:

Consumer Reports is not a good source for car safety products. The standards they use for testing are inconsistent at  best and half of what they have tested were seats that were incorrectly installed in scenarios that would not happen in real life.

That may have been true in the past. Actually all of the infant seats tested scored excellent or very good in crash tests.  They only gave recs based on fit to vehicles and ease of use. I didn't see a lot of dif between their recs and some of the recs on carseatblog.com. I just found their format easiest to read and understand.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I disagree with your statements that all carseats are equally safe, because they passed the MINIMUM US safety standards in order to be on the market. For instance side impact testing isn't even a standard in the US, but some manufacturers have designed and tested their seats for added side impact protection, use higher quality energy absorbing foam and reinforce their seats with better construction and features like ARB.  Unfortunately there is no way for consumers to have information on how different seats perform under crash tests and different crash mechanics and real world conditions. The only independent agency that crash-tested seats, Consumer Reports, came under fire for their last safety study because their testing methodology did not hold up to scrutiny and was reportedly at much higher velocity than reported.  

My personal preference as far as assurance of safety is to choose a seat from a reputable european company.  Sure their US models are different that what is sold abroad, but I believe the engineering and construction is based off their european engineering which is held up to a higher standard.

I've used the Chicco keyfit 30 infant seat (it's ok, I don't love it)  and currently use the Peg Perego Convertible for DD.   

• imageellewoodsSC:

I disagree with your statements that all carseats are equally safe, because they passed the MINIMUM US safety standards in order to be on the market. For instance side impact testing isn't even a standard in the US, but some manufacturers have designed and tested their seats for added side impact protection, use higher quality energy absorbing foam and reinforce their seats with better construction and features like ARB.  Unfortunately there is no way for consumers to have information on how different seats perform under crash tests and different crash mechanics and real world conditions. The only independent agency that crash-tested seats, Consumer Reports, came under fire for their last safety study because their testing methodology did not hold up to scrutiny and was reportedly at much higher velocity than reported.  

My personal preference as far as assurance of safety is to choose a seat from a reputable european company.  Sure their US models are different that what is sold abroad, but I believe the engineering and construction is based off their european engineering which is held up to a higher standard.

I've used the Chicco keyfit 30 infant seat (it's ok, I don't love it)  and currently use the Peg Perego Convertible for DD.   

You are forgetting Britax.  They are from the UK. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imageLittleApple:
    imageellewoodsSC:

I disagree with your statements that all carseats are equally safe, because they passed the MINIMUM US safety standards in order to be on the market. For instance side impact testing isn't even a standard in the US, but some manufacturers have designed and tested their seats for added side impact protection, use higher quality energy absorbing foam and reinforce their seats with better construction and features like ARB.  Unfortunately there is no way for consumers to have information on how different seats perform under crash tests and different crash mechanics and real world conditions. The only independent agency that crash-tested seats, Consumer Reports, came under fire for their last safety study because their testing methodology did not hold up to scrutiny and was reportedly at much higher velocity than reported.  

You are forgetting Britax.  They are from the UK. 

I was referencing seats that I have used personally, but Britax was on my list of possible contenders, especially when looking at convertible seats.  I have no idea why a pp questioned their safety.

• imageimimahoney:

All carseats are legally required to meet the same safety standards. That said, some fit better in certain cars than others. As well, some are much more affordable than others. 

Graco Snugride, Chico Key Fit and the Britax B-Safe are some of the most popular on the market. I know that Britax makes a B-Safe that fits into the frame of the BOB jogger. I have a Britax and I love it but it's more expensive than other seats, a bit heavier and takes up a lot of room in my backseat. 

You should go to your local Buy Buy Baby/Babies R Us to try them out. Put them in your car, lift them, and play with the features.  

Yep! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it also depends if you properly installed it on your car. It also depends on the features that it has. new toddler car seats have different features that will surely provide safety for your children. Check it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"