Military Families

New to Jacksonville, FL

Hello Ladies!

My husband and I will be new to Jacksonville, FL in March. I am currently pregnant and we have Tricare Standard. We are thinking of switching to Tricare Prime when we make the move. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this? Also, does anyone have any experience with Naval Hospital Jacksonville? It scares me to switch and HAVE to rely on their doctors/hospital so I need some reviews/opinions.

Thanks ladies!

Re: New to Jacksonville, FL

• I lived in Jacksonville/Orange Park, FL for all but the last two years of my life. We are now station at Fort Carson in Colorado. Are you at May Port or NAS JAX??? I went to NAS JAX for many years and like them. A good friend of mine had her son there almost a year ago and she loved it.

If you are think about going off base Orange Park Hospital is rated the best for birth. My mom had my brother there 20 years ago and she did a VBCS with no problems. I also know countless of other woman the last few years had there baby there and love it.

I hope you enjoy your time. I'm in count down to a vacation there in month and I can't wait. 

This story started at band camp on Sept. 6, 2002, when to people meet. Married on Nov. 14, 2009.

• I hated the OB's at NAS for regular OB care.  I felt that they were very impersonal and would not listen to anything I had to say or my concerns.  I didn't get pregnant or give birth at NAS so I don't know about their care in that aspect.
    Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on Prime and going to my OB appointments at Mayport. I like it so far...very organized and the provider is excellent. I haven't taken any classes yet at NAS, but I've heard that the hospital has 2 to 3 babies per day and has lots of staff.
  • I am from Jacksonville, you will enjoy it there I think. I really don't know much about the tricare standpoint as I was a child for all that but if you have a choice i.e. you can choose where to go and you decide not to take the on post care, go to Baptist downtown. I had both of my children there civilian side and the doctors were phenominal!!! Dr. Barnes is who delivered me. It is a small practice with just 3 physicians last time I was there so you get to know each of them very personal. GL!
    imageimageimageimage

• Tricare Prime with NAS Jax is AMAZING!!! I grew up there with my dad being in the Navy and was treated there until my husband PCS'd away from FL. They are amazing! I highly recommend them. 

• Hi There! 

To answer your first question, Tricare Prime is worth the change over. We have had excellent experiences so far at the Naval Hospital on base. I am brand new to Jacksonville as well! Well, 8 months here so far. Our first baby is due April 15th! I have received excellent care and prompt assistance from them any time I've needed to visit.

My pregnancy is now considered high risk so I have been referred out of the Naval hospital to Shands (a local city hospital here). 

Do you have any kids or are you expecting? Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions about Jacksonville! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"