Pre-School and Daycare

When do you register your kid for school?

My babysitter just ditched me for shady reasons and I'm longing for the days when my LO is in pre-k our Parish school. He's three but he's got an October birthday so I had to wait it out a year. I work in a Catholic school myself and the students are already getting their registration packets for next year. I don't want to be waiting list and I want to apply for a scholarship. When do I look into registering for next year?

Re: When do you register your kid for school?

• OUr Pre-K registration was the end of February.  But registration for kindergarten at the public school is sometime in April.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our preschool registration started in January for current families.  It is now registering for the public, which started in February. 

Our public school started registration for Kindergarten last week.  

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Loading the player...
  • Our 4K registration was back in January. They sent us home a kindergarten registration packet around the same time.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • KL777KL777 member
    DS is in kindergarten this year but I've already paid his registration fee.  I would call your child's school and ask.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Call the school to find out. Whether you can wait until the last minute or not really depends on the area and the school.

Our process started in January for both preschool and kindergarten. I've already registered my 5-YO for kindergarten, and I'm in the process of looking for preschool/daycare for my DD2 but haven't made a final decision yet. I've already talked to the places we're considering and I know I have some time to decide -- if I was interested in a full-day spot at my DD1's preschool, I'd be SOL b/c they filled up within the first week. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • We were told to register for pre-k this Fall kiddos needed to turn 4 by the end of this April. So I guess that means I'll register him a year from now.
  • Call the school and find out. Every place is different. Our preschool registers in February. Kindergarten registration is in April.
  • The PreK my kids went to had register in Feb.  They held an open house in early Feb and from that day until I think 3 weeks later, registration was open.  Letters went out in late Feb and then they start going through the wait list.

For Kindy, we could start turning in applications (for open enrollment and full day) in mid Nov when they held the information night through Jan 15th.  On Jan 16th they start going through the process and letters went out in mid Feb.  Anyone that submits applications Jan 16th or later is put on the waiting list.

My kids are in a school that has a very high open enrollment rate and is very hard to get into if you are out of district which I am (or in district but wanting to indistrict open enroll).  Some of the schools around me in different districts have a later time frame but the Jan 15th to open enroll deadline is set by the state.  I know letters for my home districts Spanish Immersion program just went out last week.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Oh and if you are in district and just want half day kindy, you just show up at Kindy Round Up which was the first week in March.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"