VBAC

Losing Hope

Going into this pregnancy, I was so sure I'd have my VBAC. I'm a dream candidate. Had a successful vaginal with my first and the c-section was due to cord prolapse from PROM (so something highly unlikely to reoccur).

At every ultrasound since, this LO has measured well ahead of the curve. 3 days ahead at the NT scan, 8 days ahead at 21 weeks and then jumping to 3 weeks ahead at 29 weeks and 37 weeks. The doctor didn't seem too concerned. With my first coming at 38.5 weeks on her own, we were both pretty confident I'd go early, maybe even at 37 weeks or early 38.

I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow. After learning I was barely dilated and still thick at 38 weeks, the doctor, DH and I sat down and talked things out and decided the best plan was to schedule a RCS before my due date, mostly due to LO's abdomen measuring above the 95th percentile at both recent growth ultrasounds (and above 80th at 21 weeks, though the rest of him was only in the 60th). Due to scheduling conflicts, it ended up being several days before my due date, this Wednesday, actually. I do feel this is the best plan for LO's health and I don't regret making it, nor do I intend to back out. I second guess it, of course, but I'd be second guessing any plan we made, even if we had agreed to go to 41 weeks and wait it out as my doctor offered (though his rec was the RCS, he left it entirely up to us).

When we scheduled the c-section, I had 8 days to go into labor and I hadn't yet reached the gestational age my oldest had been born at, so I remained cautiously optimistic, but I did feel a little sorry for myself as I drove home after the appointment. I don't want another c-section, I don't want to be in the hospital for 3-4 days, and I don't want to be recovering from a c-section with two preschoolers at home. Now I have less than 4 days to go into labor on my own and even the prodromal labor I was having since 36 weeks has tapered off and I've sat down and cried at least 3 times over the past 2 days because I'm feeling so helpless and desperate. I still feel the RCS is the right decision if I reach that point, I just don't want to do it and every time I get a couple contractions and they taper off it just makes me want to scream and throw things. I'm short-tempered with my kids because I have so little control of my emotions right now, because I'm so caught up in hoping and praying that something starts soon.

This wasn't the way this was supposed to play out. 

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Losing Hope

• I'm sorry you are feeling this way.  It sounds like a hard decision.  Could you ask to have another growth us the day prior to your c-section?  Maybe confirming the size would help you feel better about the decision. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. For my vbac, I was almost exactly in your shoes. I was an ideal vbac candidate until my baby started measuring big. My DS's abdominal circumference was literally off the charts. At my growth u/s at 38 weeks and 3 d

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Loading the player...
  • To be honest, if not going for a VBAC is that upsetting for you, maybe you should rethink the RCS (this is just the feeling I'm getting from reading your post). Would your OB be recommending a RCS if you had a vaginal birth with your last?

Not b

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I'm sorry you're going through this! I don't want to add to all the thoughts in your head - but do you think the growth u/s are accurate? Were they accurate in your late two pregnancies? Mine over estimated by daughter's weight by 2+ lbs, so I definite

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like pp said, growth u/s are often incorrect. My sil's said my nephew was 10 lbs, he was barely 7.

And does 12 more weeks in utero really cause the baby to be that much bigger? I am not sure, but it sounds like you want to wait. And like
  • I know growth ultrasounds are inaccurate, or can be, but he's been measuring large in the abdomen since 21 weeks, so I'm thinking there is some accuracy in him being on the larger side. It's not even the weight I'm concerned about, but the fact that hi

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I will say that at 38 weeks, I was told M was on track to be 9 1/2 lbs.  She was 8lb5oz.  Ultrasounds are not great at estimating size.  If it were just one ultrasound I would be hesitant to go off of that, but it sounds like you have had m
  • Aw, hang in there! The end of pg is very very hard, especially when you have any added stress, which it sounds like you do. It makes more sense about your mental preparation for a VBAC vs RCS. I didn't prep myself for the idea of a possible RCS when I was
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• It sounds like you're 80% at peace with your RCS decision.  If you want to feel totally at peace - you may want to check out the c-section board.   I'm sure lots of those ladies are dealing with the same emotions and have worked out c/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"