December 2012 Moms
Options

Rotavirus

We survived our two month appt including all of our shots. I'm pretty proud of her actually... She cried, but was smiling again pretty quickly.

Anyway, we haven't gotten the rotavirus vaccine yet bc they don't carry it and the health dept was already closed by the time we left. But they gave me the paperwork about it, and I read it while in the car on the way home. Based on the fact sheet, it sounded like the stomach flu, so I looked at the CDC page. That said pre vaccine, 95 percent had it by age 5 and there were only 20 deaths per year. Am I missing something because that doesn't sound particularly bad. We'll probably still get it since I'm sure she'll be exposed to stuff at daycare, but I was curious if everyone else was getting it or if people were skipping it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: Rotavirus

• Options
    Both of my kids have had the rotovirus vaccine. I know of one kid who had the virus and was hospitalized with dehydration. It's much more wicked than a regular stomach flu (from what I understand) but generally not life threatening (again, this is my understanding of it).

My pedi did warn me though - the oral vaccine is a live one. Meaning be VERY cautious for at leadt three days after that you wash hads very well after every diaper change (not just bowl movements). I know hand washing is probably a regular habit for many, but extra caution should be taken those days after the vaccine is given.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    All avoidable illnesses that can be potentially severe or fatal in children are tragic and as far as I'm concerned warrant a vaccine!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The mother's story about her twins getting the virus on the CDC webpage makes a bad case sound pretty terrible. I know that's the point but geez I was almost in tears reading it.

We got the vaccine earlier today. We will be getting all recommended vaccinations. If I can reduce the risks of my daughter getting very sick I am all for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options

imagedee12807:
    Both of my kids have had the rotovirus vaccine. I know of one kid who had the virus and was hospitalized with dehydration. It's much more wicked than a regular stomach flu (from what I understand) but generally not life threatening (again, this is my understanding of it). My pedi did warn me though - the oral vaccine is a live one. Meaning be VERY cautious for at leadt three days after that you wash hads very well after every diaper change (not just bowl movements). I know hand washing is probably a regular habit for many, but extra caution should be taken those days after the vaccine is given.

Wow...we didn't receive any warning like that...granted, I am sure to wash my hands after a diaper change anyway for obvious reasons but still..

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options
    Please get All vaccines for your child! Only a very few have issues with the vaccine itself... by vaccinating you are not only protecting your daughter but the immunocompromised individuals who need herd immunity to protect them!
    ~~Kelly~~ Mommy to Aiden 6/2007 and Lilah 2/2010 www.kellybeans.wordpress.com BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Rota is a nasty bug! Yes, I suppose it is just a stomach flu, but it's a very bad on. It's super contagious and makes you feel like trash. I'm not worried of anyone dying from a bug, but I would hate for my little baby to feel so yucky. In babies, any bit of diarrhea and vomiting puts them at risk for dehydration - Rota even more so because it is pretty severe. I've seen it in the hospital many times and even though breastfed babies have a very, very small chance of contracting it, I still decided to vaccinate my daughter against it. 

When/if you do have it given, be warned that her stools will change. DD had loose stool for about a week the week after she had hers. She had her normal amount of poo, the consistency was just different. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For us, it is such an easy vaccine with so few side effects that we decided to include it. Like PP mentioned, rotavirus is a nasty illness, too, so that added more weight to us choosing to include it.
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

"It doesn't sound particularly bad" - until you have it!  I had it once in college.  I wanted to die.  I got so dehydrated that I had to go to the ER for fluids.  It really takes a toll on the adult body, so I shudder to think of what it would do to a kid!  It's not a big deal at all since it's oral - DS gobbled it right down.

Ditto the thing about washing your hands after changing diapers.  (Sad that our pedi has to tell his patients' parents that!)

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options

We get all vaccines.

3 days after the rota vax DD was inconsolable until she started projectile vomiting. It was awful but only lasted a few hours.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    Ugh. I'm sure that we'll end up getting it, but she's already so miserable from her shots that I don't want to add insult to injury. She's had diarrhea and her tummy has hurt all day, she's been spitting up nearly everything, and we just had the fifth explosive diaper, which is a lot compared to her normal two dirty diapers per week. Poor little pumpkin. We'd wait and split between these shots and the next set, but then she'll be too old to get it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    We didn't get it. The vaccine is too new for me and the last version of it was pulled after it was on the market. She got all the rest of her vaccines but this one was just not right for our family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"