Minnesota Babies
Options

Do you like your pediatrician?

Went to the pediatrician for the one month check up today and was rather mediocre about the whole deal. Neither the nurse or the doctor was very engaging...an I felt like they were in a hurry to just get done with the appointment and get rid of me. And when the appointment ended it just, ended. There was no discussion of setting up the next appointment or what/when we would be doing immunizations.

Needless to say I'm looking for a recommendation on a pediatrician/clinic. I live in Saint Paul but I have no qualms with driving if the health care is worth it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you like your pediatrician?

• Options
    I love ours!  I followed her from Woodbury to Bloomington when she switched practices.  Her name is Dr. Sonja Helmy at the Fairview Oxboro Clinic.  She has late appointments on Mondays so I never have to take a day off for routine appointments.  She spends a good chunk of time with us and I never feel rushed.  She also listens and is open to my thoughts on issues.  DD2 had quite a few feeding/medical issues in her first year and she gave her recommendations, but wasn't pushy.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

LOVE Dr Saxton at Pediatric and Young Adult Medicine. We go to the downtown St Paul location (Grand and Smith, free parking). She is SO good with my son (20 months), she remembers us every time and is very easy to talk to. I feel like I'm talking to a girlfriend who also happens to be a super knowledgeable doctor. I always walk out of there feeling like all of my questions have been answered (and validated, which can be a problem with some doctors as a FTM). She is patient and thorough and lets me hold DS for most of the exam, including shots, which other pedis we have tried have not allowed.

I will say that my favorite  of this practice (aside from the amazing Dr. Saxton) is that you never talk to a nurse/triage line or wait for a call back when you call in with a question or problem. All of the doctors carry cell phones, so when you call, you enter their extension and get through directly to your doctor. Of course, your own appointment might be briefly interrupted if another patient calls in, but I have only had it happen a time or two and it was really NBD. The St Paul location is open until 7:00PM M-Th, and also has Saturday morning hours.  

I really can't say enough good things about this practice and Dr Saxton, specifically. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been very happy with Mendakota Peds in WSP.  They also have late appts certain days.  They are a small clinic with 2 MDs and 2 nurses, so I get the feel that they really try to 'know' all their patients. 
  • Options
    I love ours too. We see Dr. DeRoche at Fairview Northeast, which might be out of the way for you. She was the pediatrician on call when he was born, and is the only doc he's seen. He had some weight issues and I was having to bring him in for weight checks, and she even took the time to come see him, even though it was only a nurse's visit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'll probably be checking out PYAM first as they have a Saint Paul location. 
  • Options

imageschmood:
    I have been very happy with Mendakota Peds in WSP.  They also have late appts certain days.  They are a small clinic with 2 MDs and 2 nurses, so I get the feel that they really try to 'know' all their patients. 

This times a million. I have never been happier with a Dr. office. Ever. 

BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

• Options

I can't say enough good things about Central Pediatrics, located at Snelling & Larpenteur on the northern edge of St. Paul. They are open 7 days a week and until 10pm. Their nurse line is fantastic.

We've seen several of the doctors there, and I particularly like Dr. Jaegar and Dr. Richart. Both are very engaging, very open to hearing questions and not rushing, and both have calmed me during some early baby illnesses.  They're funny with the little ones, too, which helps:)

• Options
    We would highly recommend Dr. Simon Fenton out of the West Saint Paul Allina Clinic. He is an excellent, low-key doctor (which I appreciate as I tend to be a worrywart lol) and he has children, so I really appreciate his perspective not only as a doctor, but as a parent too! We researched him, and he also got rave reviews from his time working for Children's Hospital. After reading those reviews, we decided to give him a try! We are very glad we did! Good luck in your search :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"