Preemies

35 weeker: vent

Hi, 

my LO was born a month before her due date at 4lbs 2 oz. She was born healthy just small. 7 months now and she is probably about 14 lbs or 15. I love her so much. It doesn't bother me that she is small but what gets me so riled up is when ignorant people see my baby and say she is small. I get really protective. Every baby is different. I'm sure these people don't mean harm but it gets annoying after a while especially when they compare there kids to mine. 

Does anyone else get this feeling?  My daughter hits her milestones she is just very petite. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 35 weeker: vent

• I have a 35 weeker as well, but mine is almost 3 weeks old. It's very frustrating/annoying when people comment on her size. She was 5lbs 11oz at birth and completely healthy. She's a little over 6lbs today. I don't think people realize how rude their comments are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekelseyjom89:
    I have a 35 weeker as well, but mine is almost 3 weeks old. It's very frustrating/annoying when people comment on her size. She was 5lbs 11oz at birth and completely healthy. She's a little over 6lbs today. I don't think people realize how rude their comments are.

exactly! By the way congrats! =] 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the opposite problem, my 35 weeker was 7 lb 2.5 oz and everyone keeps telling me I must have been off on my dates since he was so big.  I know my dates, I had ultrasounds every 4 weeks, and he came out with very typical 35 weeker problems.  

My kids tend to come out big but then have problems gaining weight and are still less than 20 lbs at a year so I get the small comments as they get closer to their first birthday.

Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Unfortunately, it's part of the crap preemie moms end up having to deal with. I had a just under 30 weeker who is still a bit of a peanut (she's now fairly tall, but uber skinny), and got tons of comments. I was in the mall with her the August after she was born (she was born in March), and an older woman actually reprimanded me for "taking that newborn out so soon". I gave her a dirty look and said "um, actually, she's 5 months old" and walked away. 

Bottom line, people are stupid and don't know better, so either come up with a witty retort or simply ignore them. Sorry mama! 

• I still get that with my 33 weeker who is now 3 years old. People just need to shut their pie holes. Sorry your dealing with this. Normally I just walk away.

• I tend to just look at them and say "His pediatrician says he's doing wonderfully for a preemie."  My son was born at 34 weeks and was 4 lbs.  He is a little small now compared to other 8 month babies, he's even on the small end of average for a six month old.  But he's healthy, he's progressing normally and that's all I care about. There's something about pregnancy and babies that seems to send people's brains into a filter-free state. 
  • See my siggy! My DD1 was and is itty bitty (22lb at 2 yrs) but when people comment, I just say, "Yup! I make little babies!" and move on. I don't take it personally. There's nothing wrong with being little. I was small, my girls are small, and I want them to know that there's nothing wrong with that.
  • I had a 35 weeker.  She was 5 pounds 1 ounce.  She was a peanut then, and is still a peanut at 3 and a half.  I also hated the commentary.  It annoyed the daylights out of me.

Fast forward...

I had my son when my DD was 16 months old.  He was HUGE (9 pounds 11 ounces at 39 weeks).  And let me tell you, the commentary isn't much better with a mammoth baby either.  "WOW! He's HUGE! What do you FEED HIM!?!?".  Blah blah blah.

So, not to discount your feelings because I have been in your shoes, but the commentary is endless nomatter what.  People always find something to comment on.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• My son is a 35 weeker, too. One of the most frustrating comments I've gotten so far was related to the labor and delivery. It went really smoothly and I was really glad to have to naturally, so a coworker of mine says "Well, just wait til you have one full-term".

Huh... yep, that ticked me off a bit. Everyone wants to hear about his health concerns and what's wrong with him, but he is a healthy little man - praise God! He was born at 4 lbs. 14.5 oz. but now he's up to 5 lb. 1 oz. already at 10 days! (my husband and I were pumped!)

I'm noticing people can be very critical of preemies and their parents. It seems they dig for things that I've done wrong to cause him to arrive early. 

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Psalm 127:3 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"