Health & Exercise
Options

Smoking and TTC

I've had a hard time quitting smoking while TTC. Having some fertility issues (whether or not it is because of smoking, not sure). So stressed out about the whole ordeal that I have been smoking a lot more. I need help and I don't know where to start.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Smoking and TTC

• Options
    What does your dr recommend, also consult your insurance, my health insurance pays for smoking cessation program for women TTC.
  • Options
    I agree that you must first make a conscious decision that you are going to quit and commit to it if you truly want to be successful. It may help to make a list of all the reasons that you want to quit and keep it posted in a place that you will see it every day to help you stay motivated. Second, develop a plan. Are you going to use nicotine replacement? Medications? Are you going to gradually cut back? You should set your quit date and map out exactly how you will get there. Think about this and consult your doctor so that you can come up with a plan that will be appropriate for your needs. Many people feel that using gum or the patch either won't work or makes them appear weak, but use of nicotine replacement has been found to double success rates, so give it some thought. There are several alternative therapies as well, including hypnosis and acupuncture. Another responder mentioned that her insurance offers smoking cessation services and this is a great place to start as well. Many employers offer these options as well as some community centers. Smokefree.gov or quitnet.com are some great online resources that can help you get started and provide support. I truly hope that you get the help that you need. Smoking is definitely holding you back and you will only better yourself by quitting whether you get pregnant or not. I would agree that you should be smoke free before you conceive to give your baby the best chance right from the very start. Best of luck to you! 
    Ovuline helps couples conceive faster.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Lurker here: I smoked socially but started smoking more when we found out about our IF issues (big stress smoker).  I desperately wanted to quit and like you, didn't know where to start.  

A friend introduced me to the Smoke Free e-ciggarette (I know I know - nonsense).  He was a 2 pack a day smoker and really said it was working for him.  I ended up buying [a pink] one and started out with 11mg nicotine cartridges.  The next box of cartridges was 6 mg and then I went down to no nicotine.  

Now I don't even use it anymore.  It's worth a shot and the flavors aren't bad.  I did chocolate, grape, and strawberry.  The starter kit was $75 and the refills (which last about 2-3 weeks) cost $10-15 depending on where you buy them.  It's money well spent.  

Good luck to you.   

• Options

imagemlreffey:
    I've had a hard time quitting smoking while TTC. Having some fertility issues (whether or not it is because of smoking, not sure). So stressed out about the whole ordeal that I have been smoking a lot more. I need help and I don't know where to start.

Find another, healthier, habit.  Some ex-smokers found yoga helpful (when you learn to breath deeply, you really see why you shouldn't smoke.  Also think about the money -- 1 pack a day is about $4.75/day = $33.25/week = $133/month = $1596/year.  That is your baby's formula; diapers; baby wipes.  Out the window.  For what? 

Try sugar free gum to help occupy your mouth.  Look at those cigarettes and think about that sweet baby you want.  Think of it as a choice.  The baby or the smokes.  It should be easy.  Your body WILL adjust.  I smoked for ten years (2 packs a day) and quit cold turkey (after trying fifty other ways).  It was hard, but it worked.  Smoke free for almost 14 years and I have a beautiful baby girl in a healthy, smoke-free home.  You can do it too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

There are tons of free programs that will provide you with no-cost stop smoking aids. Just consult google. Most of them are paid for by settlements won against tobacco companies!! Yay!

Just keep in mind that if you use the patch or gum, or some other nicotine delivery system, you still need to stop those when you become pregnant. It is the nicotine that is most harmful to the baby, not so much the carcinogens from the smoke. Not that those are good, either, but the nicotine is what causes low birth weight, facial feature distortion and all the other problems normally associated with smoking during pregnancy.

• Options
    I was a social smoker for 10+ years and most of my friends smoke as well. It took me a year to get pregnant and my friend who smokes several times a day got pregnant the first month. There are numerous studies that link smoking to all kinds of bad things, including infertility so why not just try to give it up? My friend had a very hard time giving up smoking right after she found out she was pregnant and it made her first few months miserable so get ahead of the game and quit now. It wasnt hard for me at all because i could go months without smoking and be fine with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"