Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

First Trip Coming Up With LO

We are flying to DC next month for a wedding and a mini-vacation.  The wedding is family, so it will be a blast. The groom, my cousin, asked me to usher, and I had to say yes, so I have all the wedding party stuff going on now.  But it will be our first time traveling with the squirt, and I am really excited about it.

I have some questions for my fellow dads here...

1) The hotel.....do most of them have cribs available, or do we have to bring the pack n play with us?

2) The plane.....bottle during take off and landing I am assuming?  Not a long flight from Milwaukee to DC, but long enough for the squirt to sleep, considering we are not taking off until his bedtime.  Also, how is it holding a near-20 8 month old on a plane?

3) Managing a sleep schedule.  How in the world are we going to be able to do that?  We have a capitol tour scheduled, and since my wife has never been there, I plan on showing her the big sights like the museums, the memorials and some of the neighborhoods and college campuses. We will have the stroller, so I am assuming that we treat the stroller as a nap place too when we are out and about. My wife and the squirt will skip the rehershal dinner, so he can catch up on sleep then.

Excited to leave, but I am very fearful of the unknown.  I am scared to death that he will be a terror the whole trip, and with that will go many, many future trips.

Re: First Trip Coming Up With LO

• Options
    PrimePrime member

I don't have any first hand experience with this yet (obviously), but I've done some research on the hotel and plane aspects because we are going to be traveling at 5-6 weeks and 5 months.

Check with the hotel you are staying at regarding a crib/bassinet.  Most have something available, but not all will guarantee availability for your stay.

For the plane, everything I've read says feed during takeoff and landing.

• Options
    imagepolooo26:

Worst case scenario is your baby gets slapped by some drunk.

No way that knucklehead tries that if daddy was on the plane with them.  They would still be trying to pry me off of his corpse.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Most hotels offer cribs for no charge, but double check, just to make sure.

I can't help you on the plane issue, we drove from Indiana to DC when we went last year.  The bottle is likely the best way to fight the ear popping, or a pacifier... either way.

As far as the sleep schedule goes, if you keep him in the stroller when you are out and he can sleep with noise, he'll likely crash out when he feels the need.  My 18 month old missed half of the Museum of American History and the very beginning of the Air and Space Museum.   Just remember, every single building you go into in DC in terms of the Capital building and museums will have full on metal detectors and security.

My 18 month old did amazingly well with his first vacation, including the 11 hour drive each way.  You'll be surprised how flexible little ones can be/are with vacations.  The thing that may not go quite as you hope might in fact be the wedding.  My son didn't want to stay quiet for my sister's wedding so my mother-in-law offered to take him out.  He was a blast in the reception, but he was 19 months old and everyone was taking him to the dance floor.  An 8 month old likely will start to get cranky at bedtime, which could cost someone a reception.

• Options

Perfect advice, Colts!!

My parents are taking squirt from the reception when that goes down so we can enjoy the dancing and drinking.

I imagine walking around the Mall will knock him out.

• Options
    The Mall is fun though... we let Jeffrey run around in the open fields in the center for a bit and he had fun.  Got some good pics with the Capital building and the Washington Monument in the background too (with some construction equipment and tents for the 4th of July in the background).
  • Options

Dope conversation.

We are heading to Seattle for a little vacation and taking the (at the time 6 1/2 month old) kiddo with us. I think we have the hotel and plane covered....I have no idea how we are going to handle his schedule. We figured we would just let him dictate what he wanted to do, which could result in a lot of napping (my wife is fine with that). But it's 4 days just for the fun of it, so I'm in.

Good luck dude!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageDavidStamps:

Dope conversation.

We are heading to Seattle for a little vacation and taking the (at the time 6 1/2 month old) kiddo with us. I think we have the hotel and plane covered....I have no idea how we are going to handle his schedule. We figured we would just let him dictate what he wanted to do, which could result in a lot of napping (my wife is fine with that). But it's 4 days just for the fun of it, so I'm in.

Good luck dude!

Dude, Seattle is the bomb!  I was out there 5 years ago and had a great time.  The nieighborhood around the Needle is full of nice restaurants and bars. We stayed a few blocks from there.

Good luck to you too.  Sounds like fun!

• Options
    PrimePrime member
    imageladyjenna13:
    imageDavidStamps:

Dope conversation.

Good luck dude!

Dude, Seattle is the bomb!  I was out there 5 years ago and had a great time.  The nieighborhood around the Needle is full of nice restaurants and bars. We stayed a few blocks from there.

Good luck to you too.  Sounds like fun!

Seattle is awesome!  What are you planning to do when you are here?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"