Maryland Babies

Poll: L&D

If you've had more than 1 baby, answer for both/all!

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)?

How long was your labor?

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed?

Who was in the delivery room with you?

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room?

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Poll: L&D

• What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)?  I went in with an open mind both times and both times progressed very quickly and got an epi before transition/just before pushing.  The epi didn't really take with Ty, though.

How long was your labor?  With Maddox, my water broke at 6:15 a.m.  I was fully dilated by a little after 10 and pushed for 2 hours.  He was born at 12:14 p.m.  With Ty I was walking around at 6 cm.  They broke my water and I was fully dilated in less than an hour.  He came out after two pushes.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?  Ty's was quicker but he was sunny side up and the epi didn't really take, so much more painful during the last bit.  Emotionally, though, Ty's was much harder -  both because the induction didn't have the same emotional value for me (lots of paperwork, water broken, fully dilated in 30 minutes and then push, push - baby!) and because being away from Maddox was so hard.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed?  Not really - I went into the hospital with an open mind both times.  The nurses were very respectful of my wishes, though, and didn't push anything that I didn't request.

Who was in the delivery room with you?  With Maddox, DH and my mom.  With Ty, just DH.  We wanted to get through it ourselves the second time.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room?  Not really.  I think my mom was a tiny bit sad the second time around, but totally understood why we made the decision and never made any issue of it.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I'd tell him to grow a pair.  This would be a serious issue for me - to the point that I'd question how well I knew the guy that I married.
    lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • imageSarahKate31:

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? Both mine were vaginal. I went into labor on my own with DS1 at 40w3d and I had to be unexpectedly induced with DS2 at 38w3d because I developed cholestasis of pregnancy.

How long was your labor? With DS1, about 12 hours. With DS2, I had him about 10 or 11 hours after they started the induction.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? Second one was much easier, although my epidural only 'took' on half of my body. He was out in two pushes. With DS1 I pushed for 45 minutes and had an episiotomy....he was also a whopping 9 lb 4 oz which didn't help

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? Really my only plan was to avoid a c-section which I did. My other guideline I loosely followed was that I would go as long as I could without getting the epi. Obviously I did not plan on getting induced but it was an emergency and he had to come out asap.

Who was in the delivery room with you? Just DH and the medical people

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope. Honestly I would not even have entertained the idea of having a family member in there.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I would probably tell him to man up and grow a pair. Its one of the incredible moments of your life to be there for the birth of your child, and if someone wants to miss out on that because they are afraid they may see something icky that is ridiculous. Its not the 1950s when the men have to sit in the waiting room anymore. DH was there for me the whole time, helping me breathe, holding my hand, cheering me on, etc. So I kind of have a problem with guys who act stupid about this and want to tell them to get over themselves.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRagdolls:

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I'd tell him to grow a pair.  This would be a serious issue for me - to the point that I'd question how well I knew the guy that I married.

Jinx! ha.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? My water broke but I didn't have any contractions I could feel so I was on a pitocin drip for the majority of my labor. I got the epi at 3-4 cm.

How long was your labor? 25 hours from water breaking till baby born. I pushed for 1.5 hours of that.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? N/A

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? Nope. I knew I wanted an epi and that I wanted to attempt a vaginal birth but I really just planned to go with whatever happened.

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? No, it never came up with anyone else.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? This would not be an option. We never even discussed it, it was just always assumed that DH would be there.

(I pulled the above question from a post on my BMB from a girl who's FI doesn't want to be there.)

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • If you've had more than 1 baby, answer for both/all!

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? vaginal for all three. The epi didn't take for DS so I went natural...ouch. Epi for the girls.

How long was your labor? 9 hours for DS, same for DD1 and 14 for DD2

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? DS's hurt because of the epi part; DD1's was fine even though I was induced--I think her's was the best; DD2's I wasn't able to get my epi until an hour before I started pushing because of timing of my blood thinner so I was in pain for awhile.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? no

Who was in the delivery room with you? My mom for all three; DS's father for his and DH for the girls

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? I was going to let MIL be there for DD1's (I know, I know but I felt bad that she couldn't be there for her DD's) but nobody was able to sit with DS in the waiting room so she wound up doing that instead.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? same as PP's--that wouldn't fly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? emergency c-section, going for a VBAC this time!

How long was your labor? Technically it started on Sunday evening at 10pm. It was stopped (I was 33w4d) for about 24 hours before I started to show signs of infection. I was then induced and on pitocin for ~ 4 hours before DS showed fetal distress and I had CS.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? n/a

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? This time I plan on making one, I think it will be important if I am going to be successful with my VBAC.

Who was in the delivery room with you? At 1st my sister and DH. My parents and DH's parents came back to visit but were in the waiting room. DH was in the OR with me.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope. I wanted my sister and DH both there. I have asked both the be there again.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? Hmm. I never really thought about this one...DH seemed pretty comfortable after our birthing class. And if he can make it through the trauma of DS's birth he can handle anything!

ETA: Labor ended with magnesium sulfate Tuesday evening then started again Wednesday AM.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? DS-I was induced, labored for 15 hours and never got past 3 cm, ended up with a c/s.  DD-went into labor on my own, was in labor for over 30 hours, got to 3 cm on my own, 5 with a few hours of pit, but wouldn't progress on my own and they couldn't up the pit because i was a VBAC attempt. Ended in c/s, turns out her head was to the side and she was not going to move down and help me progress.

How long was your labor? 15 hours first time, second time 35 hours before the c/s

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?  DS was shorter and I had an epi (because I was pressured to do so) before I was in a great deal of pain, so the labor part of physically easier.   DD's was long, I woke up at 3 am in labor and I was exhausted 24 hours later with no sleep, hers was definately harder.  My c/s recovery was very easy and quick with both, but with DS I got violently ill right after surgery because I have a bad reaction to all the drugs, with DD I had a long talk with the anesthesiologist about not giving me any heavy painkillers and pushing as much zofran as she could at the end of surgery, so I got sick, but not nearly as bad. 

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed?  with DS not really, with DD my plan was a VBAC, and an attempt to labor w/o and drugs.  I was able to labor for about 24 hours w/o anything and then I was just so exhausted I got the epi just so I could get some rest.  Obviously I didn't get my VBAC and I'm still very disappointed, but I know that the majority of what happened was totally out of my control. 

Who was in the delivery room with you?  for the surgeries it was just DH, but even if I had a vaginal it would have just been him.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? nope, no one ever expressed a desire to be in the room and I would have let them anyway.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? he really didn't have a choice, but I knew he wasn't the kind of guy that would wouldn't want to be there anyway when I married him :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? I was induced at 36 weeks. I had two applications of cervadil and was on a pitocin drip for 8 hours and then another 8 hours. Finally, I consented, they broke my water at 8:30 AM and DD was born at 2:50PM after 30 minutes of pushing. Besides the pitocin, which they removed after my water broke, I went med/pain med free.

How long was your labor?  6 hours, with about 2-3 hours in transition. Only 30 minutes of pushing, though.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? Yes, mostly. I didn't want pain meds, an episiotomy and wanted to walk around during labor and I was able to do so. I still had to have the IV and constant monitoring.

Who was in the delivery room with you? Just DH, MW, labor nurse and another nurse who would take care of the baby.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Sort of, someone wanted the nicu Dr.'s there and I freaked out. The Dr.'s didn't want to wait in the lobby and I said, I'm not putting on a show here. My MW went along with me.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?  TFB. Mine didn't, initially, but I said he had to, to watch over DD and make sure they followed our wishes. He agreed to be up by my head, holding my hand. He ended up being at the business end and holding my leg while I pushed Stick out tongue He got over it and said it really was an amazing experience.

ETA: TFB = Too Freakin* Bad 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? I had to be induced at 41 weeks due to low fluid. They started with cytotec and then used a foley bulb. That combo got my contractions going and I was able to avoid pitocin, thankfully.

How long was your labor? About 6-7 hours from the time contractions started to delivery. Pushed for about 20 minutes.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? Hopefully I can answer yes to this in a few weeks!

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? My birth plan was to have a baby. I didn't want a specific plan only to be disappointed when things went wrong, so I went in with the mindset to just roll with it. Doing that again this time.

Who was in the delivery room with you? Just DH for contractions and delivery. MIL, FIL and SIL came when I was first being induced and we just hung out watching Modern Family episodes for a while.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope. I think MIL and SIL would love to be in there but there is no pressure from them and they understand I'm a private person and want it just DH and me.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I'd be legitimately upset. I wouldn't understand how he would want to miss the birth of his baby. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? epi, but almost missed the chance!

How long was your labor? it started on March 8th with some contractions, then I went to the hospital that night.  They said I was only 2 cm dialated and they made me go home and told me to walk a lot.  I was in labor all through the night I went back to the hospital the next morning at 10 and pushed DS out in 40 minutes.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? NA

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I did and it was a joke it was not followed by any party

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? no, although I wish I would have had my mom in there...maybe next time if it happens.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room  I would be totally fine with it, my mom and sister would step up

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? c-section.  Went into labor on my own, received pitocin to move things along when it wasn't progressing, finally got a c-section.

How long was your labor? 36 hours. 

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? Not really.  I just wanted to have DS given to me as soon as possible regardless of the method of delivery and I wanted to be able to attempt BFing right away.  When they put DS on my chest as I was being wheeled out of the OR I freaked out though lol.

Who was in the delivery room with you? My mom and H were in the labor/delivery room but then only H was in the OR.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Kind of.  I wanted my mom, H said "if your mom is in there why not my mom?"  I shot that one down so fast.  LOL. 

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I'd have been upset and angry.  I didnt want to go through labor and delivery alone (and even with my mom or someone, I would have felt "alone" if H wasn't there.)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)?  Dd was csection with general.  DS was induced because my water broke with no labor

How long was your labor?  I was on pitocin from 5-almost 10 ith no progress, very mild contractions.  I got the epi because I feared my doctor was going to push for a csection, and I feared general again.  DS was born before 11.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?  Vbac was sooooo easy

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed?  No I didn't have one. 

Who was in the delivery room with you?  With dd, I was alone.  With DS, dh, my mom and mil were there.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room?  No. While mil and I aren't close, I didn't mind her being there.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?   Too bad.

• Ack, I knew I shouldn't have read this post.  I am terrified of labor.  Completely terrified.  I want to throw up every time I think about it.  Ick!

Clearly I am going to have to get over this fear though!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)?

c-section.  She was breech

How long was your labor?

I labored for about 4 hours before they were able to get me into an operating room

I didn't have anything formal written down but I definitely had an idea of what I wanted.  It all went out the window when I found out I was having a c-section.

Just my husband

Nope.  I made it very clear that labor and birth were not spectator sports

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  Yeah right.   

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • imageSarahKate31:

(I pulled the above question from a post on my BMB from a girl who's FI doesn't want to be there.)

There was a girl from my BMB whose husband refused to go in with her while she had a c-section.  It's caused HUGE issues for them.  HUGE.  I would not be surprised if they ended up divorced. 

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? Both were vaginal deliveries with epidurals

How long was your labor? Sydney was about 22 hours total, from beginning to end and I pushed for three hours with her. Violet was about 12 hours total, including the very beginning when I wasn't sure if I was in labor or just having more contractions that I'd been having for a few weeks.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? The second was so much easier! They all say it is, and boy, it was. I only pushed twice for Violet as opposed to 3 hours for Sydney. Violet practically fell out.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? No, I didn't have one. Get the baby out - that was it.

Who was in the delivery room with you? The medical people and DH.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? With Sydney, my ILs thought they'd be there, hanging out and chatting it up until it was time to push...that's what they did with my sister in law. I wanted it to be more private, so no one was even at the hospital except DH and I until after she was born and we had some time to bond. They were less than happy about it, but dealt with it quietly and I appreciated that.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? Like one of the PPs, I'd seriously reconsider why I married him and how well I really knew him.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Okay I don't post much but am going to jump in on this one.

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? natural waterbirth

How long was your labor? from the time my water broke, about 25 hrs, but only active for about 14 or so.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? yes and pretty much, yes.  I was able to move around a lot, no meds or IVs, eat and drink when I wanted, DH helped catch (that actually surprised me--I didn't think he would be allowed) and DD came right to me when she arrived. 

Who was in the delivery room with you? My mom and DH

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope...thought DH's mom would want to be, but she didn't, so avoided that issue :-)

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I agree with everyone else...this would be pretty crazy given our relationship. But I will say that originally he was somewhat hesitant about the "non-traditional" birth I wanted, but after reading some books and childbirth class, he was definitely on board and was amazing through it all.

• What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? Annabelle's birth was a vaginal with medication, although I was put on Mag. Salfate to try and stop my labor, but my water broke over night. I was giving a epidural and then the waiting game began, but once it was time to pushed, I might of pushed for 15 minutes.

Caroline's birth was a vaginal birth, but no epi, just some staydol. I was told they were keeping me over night to observation, but once I received the staydol, my cervix relaxed and labor came on very fast (I was being rushed to L&D and they prepped me and pretty much had baby within 30 minutes (no time for epi). I only push 2 times and she was born.

How long was your labor? A's 24 hours. C's 12 hours

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? C's was so much easier, I was up within 45 minutes after giving birth.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I did, but both my girls were early, so all bets were off.

Who was in the delivery room with you? For A's, DH, nurses and nursing student, my OB, and NICU team. For C's DH, Nurse, the on-call OB for my practice, who I had only met 10 minutes prior and NICU team.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope. For A's birth my Aunt was called to help gather a bag and my SIL came home while I was waiting to bring some stuff too. For C's birth no one arrived until after she was born.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?I would kill him!

• imagecamdenfaithful:
    imageSarahKate31:

There was a girl from my BMB whose husband refused to go in with her while she had a c-section.  It's caused HUGE issues for them.  HUGE.  I would not be surprised if they ended up divorced. 

Honestly, I think I would be more upset if H hadn't been there for the c-section than if he hadn't been there for a vaginal birth.  Even though I was pretty sure my whole pregnancy I'd have a c-section, when, after a long-ass labor and three hours of pushing, during which my epidural had failed, they told me I was going to have a c-section, I was terrified.  I have never had ANY type of surgery or even slightly major medical procedures - I mean, I've never had stitches, no wisdom teeth removed, nothing.   I remember being in the OR, and shaking, and being so terrified that somethign would go wrong, that i'd feel the incision, etc etc, and I remember thinking WHAT THE HELL WAS TAKING SO LONG for H to get in there.  He didn't watch the surgery at all beyond some of what he could see reflected in the doctor's glasses.  He just kept stroking my head. Had he refused to come in the room, I really do think that might have led to a divorce. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? With DD, I went into labor during a blizzard and had to take an ambo to the hospital.  I got there and was 4 cm dilated and got the epidural shortly thereafter.  Was in labor for about 12 hours total and pushed for 3 hours.  With DS, labor from start-to-finish was just under 3 hours, I delivered him naturally 13 minutes after I arrived to the L&D unit.How long was your labor? Oops, I answered all that above!

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? Both experiences were fine, but I will say that I recovered a lot faster from the natural labor.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? No birth plan, but I wanted an epi for comfort but that went out the window with DS's arrival.

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH both times, but DD was in the room when DS was born since we did not have time to call family to come get here that early in the morning.  She and DH were at the head of the bed and she was calm and quiet the whole time.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope, I knew it was just going to be DH and we'd alert the rest of the family after their arrivals.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? Same responses as all of you - I would kill him!  I thought they were going to make DH take DD out of the room while I delivered DS but they didn't.  If they did, I would have pitched a huge fit.  Thankfully she wasn't any kind of distraction but I think being woken up in the middle of the night and being half-asleep worked in our favor.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ras26ras26 member

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? vaginal with epi

How long was your labor?
    about 13 hours from the first contraction to baby.  I woke up with what I thought might be contractions about about 5:30am, went back to sleep until about 7 when I told DH I was "pretty sure" I was in labor.  By 10am I was in serious pain and had no doubt.  I didn't get the epi until about 8cm Indifferent and only pushed for about 30 minutes.

NA

Didn't really have one.  I actually would have liked the epi sooner, but due to irregular, but long/strong contractions, I was already at 8cm when I got to the hospital.  I don't remember when, but they did end up breaking my water for me.  I also had some pitocin because things stalled right about when I hit 10 cm, but it was low dose and I was fine with that.

DH, one nurse, and my OB. There might have been a baby nurse there at the end. I was a little distracted so I didn't notice.

Nope.

That would not fly with me.  You helped get her in there, you're helping get her out. 

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

1st one - water broke at almost 36 weeks - we were supopsed to be the ravens game that day - my last hurrah and tailgate - oops . I got to hospital about 4am at 2cm made it to 6/7cm got an epi ( was sooooo afraid of that but went well) labored down  and started pushing at 4pm pushed for almost 3.5/4 hrs . had a vacuum , epsiotomy and then a c section ( at that point I was ready to sell my soul to the devil)- 859pm he made his debut- his head was coming down crooked and he was BIG 8lbs for 36weeks with a giant head:)

all the nurses post recovery were like ohhhh your the one with THAT labor ..!!!- recovery was rough but honestly  looking back it wasn't that bad - i was up the next AM and i knew i needed to walk and get up and I had lost alot of blood but all was ok.

#2- tried for a VBAC- did accupuncture , walking every OWT in the book -  and she wouldn't budge - they wouldn't induce me so she was born at 40weeks and I had to walk to the OR - had my spinal ( which i was FREAKED about) and all in all no issues - she was 9lbs 3ounces and my OB specifically said well that vbac would have been interesting

How long was your labor?
    -18  hrs with the first. scheduled with the second

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?- second by far was easier

yes - AAMC was awesome and with my first i tried to see how  far i could get without an epi and  everyone was soo awesome - luckily with my tough labor the nicu team and my OB were awesome and I was confident with everything they did

- first- my DH and my BFF ( she felt so bad as DHs dad and step mom were out of town and my mom had vertigo and couldn't get OOB so she helped me and DH through the pushing  and so forth - my MIL - stayed outside  the room when i was pushing - wanted nothing to do with it

nope

i agree with PP  i knew he would be OK - he has a medical background and didn't  care - he actually watched quite a bit and  thought it was cool ... yeah hes weird  . it would piss me off though and i think hopefully you figure that out before  you have the baby .

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? C-section with both

How long was your labor? 8 hours with Devyn before the emergency c-section. No labor with Luke

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? Luke's wasn't as urgent as Devyn's

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I had all this crap laid out that they tell you about in books and classes. Stuff for the senses to distract you and all. I figured out fast that it's all a load of crap and just extra luggage.   So with Luke I just wanted to get it over with, no plan but get him out.

Who was in the delivery room with you? Hubby

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope, we have no family around anyway

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? If he told me that while very pregnant with all the hormones, I would have probably taken his manhood. If he had said it before getting pregnant, I would have talked to him about the reasons for it and tried to change his mind

Aiden-emergency c/s

Claire-VBAC

How long was your labor?

Claire-36 hours

Claire's was easier, believe it or not.  No emergency, no recovery from being cut open. 

With Aiden, all plans were out the window, as it was an emergency.  With Claire I did, and it was followed!

DH

Nope

Haha...he would never! 

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
    Natural waterbirth at a birth center

How long was your labor?
    I was having contractions for the week(s) leading up to my delivery, and especially the day before for a good 12 hours. The actual labor ended up being just under 7 hours.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? N/A

Yes, I did and yes, it was followed exactly. I think this has a lot to do with the care providers I chose and the support team I had. If I had given birth in a hospital, it would not have gone the way I wanted it to (i.e. no iv, being able to eat and drink during labor, etc).

My husband, the nurse-midwife, the nurse, and our doula.

No - I was allowed to have as many people as I wanted. My mom was supposed to come out, but her flight didn't arrive before I gave birth.

I would have a problem with that because we took Bradley classes together and it's a method of childbirth that's based on partner-support! He was one of my lifelines during the labor and delivery.

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepssjadey:

Ack, I knew I shouldn't have read this post.  I am terrified of labor.  Completely terrified.  I want to throw up every time I think about it.  Ick!

Clearly I am going to have to get over this fear though!

Hey, if you want to hear a good birth story - PM me!

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I had both boys by induction and both with an epidural, although by the time I was about 9 cm with Brayden, my epidural wore off!!!

How long was your labor?

Ethan - 27 hours, including 3 hours pushing
    Brayden - 13 hours, including only about 3 minutes pushing

Even though it was longer, I didn't have any issues with Ethan. With Brayden, it was much shorter which made it easier, but the epidural wore off and due to a very rapid labor (6-10 cm in 20 minutes), Brayden became distressed due to the cord around his neck so the actual delivery was kinda chaotic, although thankfully very quick!

Nope, none whatsoever with either of them!

Just my hubby!

Nope, always planned on just the two of us

Good question LOL... I think I would remind him of what he is missing out on and that he only has the one chance to see the birth of each of his sons. Never was even in the talks though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSarahKate31:

DS - natural water birth @ special beginnings

DD - natural water birth at home

How long was your labor?

my water partially broke w ds at 4am but didn't really feel any contractions until hours later.  We arrived at the birth center at 4:30 pm and he was born at 10:25 pm after pushing for almost 90 minutes.

w dd I woke up w contractions around 5/6 am and she was born a little after 3 pm.  Apparently pushing only lasted 13 min but it felt like for.ev.er.

They were both challenging, but dd s was shorter. :)

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I had one w ds and it was.  I didn't make one w dd since we were having her at home.

DH, midwife and nurse with ds/ DH, midwife & mid wife's assistant w dd

Technically we had a doula too w ds but she showed up while I was pushing after missing out on most of my labor. :(

yes.  My mom was really upset that I didn't want her there..lots of drama

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? Like a pp we also did the Bradley method and so it would ave been a huge problem as he was instrumental to me w both births.

!
  • imageras26:
    You helped get her in there, you're helping get her out. 

HAH! Yes my thoughts exactly! No L&D story for me yet, but I do appreciate having the chance to read these

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? I was induced twice. First one at 40w3d, didn't progress in 12 hours so they sent me home and we tried again at 41 weeks. Had DD vaginally with epi.

How long was your labor?
    About 10 hours. I had gel placed at 5pm then again at 8pm, then returned to the hospital at midnight to start the induction. Around 10pm my contractions started. Got the epi at 2am slept, woke up, felt like I had a watermelon in my vag pushed three times and she was out. The whole process of pushing from start to finish was 9 minutes. It kinda scares me that most everyone is saying that the 2nd was easier! Mine 1st was pretty damn easy!

N/A

Only plan I had was to get her out vaginally. I was terrified of a c/s.

DH

I'm sure my mom had an issue, but she never said anything.

I'd seriously reconsider why I married him. Like someone else said you put her in there, you can see her out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? I had to have a C-section with both boys and neither was planned.   I had an epidural pretty early with Andy (I was 5cm) and got to 9cm and stopped progressing.  He also had the cord wrapped around his neck which the MW and Dr believe that prevented him from moving down the canal. 

With Alex I had an epidural at 8cm and then stopped progressing.  He also had the cord wrapped around his neck and he had his hand in front of his face.  The doctor said there was no way I was going to be able to push him out.

How long was your labor? Andy's was 30 hours and Alex's was 10 hours. Although with Alex I was having contractions that were <5 minutes apart for 48 hours but the contractions were not productive.  The Pitocin moved the labor along.

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other? The first one was easier but that's only because I got the epidural so early. 

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I had a birth plan with both kids and both were thrown out the window.  My body just didn't want to follow the plan.

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? No

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? I would have told him he better get his a$$ in that room and shut up about it.  If I have to go through the pain of labor, delivery and recovery, the least he can do is be in the delivery room to support me.

• Late to the party as usual...way to bring out the momma's from hiding SK! I didn't think that many folks were on the board anymore!   

If you've had more than 1 baby, answer for both/all! What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? vaginal, med-free

How long was your labor? No exact numbers here-- all I can tell you I remember DH came home around 5:30 and I told him let's finish packing that bag..just in case this is really something. And she was born at 4am.  This has always confused me as to when your labor officially starts...

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? I didn't have an offiical, written plan but I wanted to labor at home as much as possible, try to go med-free and have baby in my arms asap. Oh and I wanted my husband to announce whether it was a girl or a boy.

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH. While I wanted it to just be and my husband after my daughter was born I wanted my mom so.friggin.bad. But because my mom was here in MD and I was in NY my family didn't arrive till several hours later.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? nah

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room?  I'm pretty sure you ladies have already covered this one pretty well. :)

scrunched up face
  • What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)?  A C-section

How long was your labor?  My midwives sent me to the hospital around 1pm on a Friday with high blood pressure.  I was induced, and by Sunday at 4pm I had only gotten to 4cm, so I "elected" a c-section

If you've had more than one delivery, was one easier than the other?  Just the one, but if the next one is this rough, we'll be stopping at 2!

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed?  We had talked over our preferences with our doula, but LO arrived at 37 weeks, so we hadn't prepared it in writing.  As it turns out, with the pre-eclampsia and all the other issues that came up, we probably wouldn't have been able to follow any of them.

Who was in the delivery room with you?  Just DH and the medical staff, since I had a c-section.

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room?  No, because we didn't have a choice, really.

Random question: What if your DH told you he didn't want to be in the delivery room? Ha!  HAHAHA!  
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• What kind of delivery did you have (c/s, induction, med-free, epi, etc)? epi, vaginal

How long was your labor? I was induced due to very high BP and I was on a magnesium IV from the time I get there, so I didn't stroke. So, from what I remember, I was given Petocin (sp?) Tue evening around 8:00. Contractions started an hour after that. I started pushing at 8:11 Wed morning and she was out after 3 series of pushes and in 11 minutes.

Did you have a "birth plan" and if so, was it followed? Not really. My mom and Dad's good friend (known her since I was 12, I call her Aunt Kari) is the delivery nurse coordinator. She was in the delivery room with me as one of my nurses. I trusted her completely.

Who was in the delivery room with you? DH (and see above)

Were there any issues about who would be in the delivery room? Nope. My body, our child, our decision.

I would have said something like Ras did. He helped get her in there, he can help me get her out!

• Am I trying to Edit my answer, the one that starts with "Were there any issues" becuase I can't stand that it isn't formatted the same way as the others. The damn Bump won't let me unbold, unitalicize, etc. DAMMIT. This is causing more stress than it should... Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"