Military Families
Options

Breast Pumps

Re: Breast Pumps

• Options
    This is what Tricare told me about this: they only cover it if there is a medical necessity (tongue tie, etc) or if your baby is premature (sounded like it had to be pretty premature, cause my late term preemie born at 36 weeks didn't qualify)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had to write a Tricare director for specific answers to this for family members in our command, and this is the response I got:

"There have been several questions recently on whether or not TRICARE would cover breast pumps. Under the Patient Protection and

Affordable Care Act (PPACA), breast pumps are covered.

However, changes made by the PPACA don't affect TRICARE. TRICARE falls under a different set of statutes under the authority of the

Department of Defense and the Secretary of Defense.

TRICARE only covers heavy-duty hospital grade electronic breast pumps when used to provide breast milk for premature infants. The

breast pump is covered while the premature infant remains in the hospital during the immediate post-partum period. The breast pump

may be covered after the premature infant is discharged from the hospital; however, a physician must document the medical reason for

continued use of the equipment after

discharge. This also applies to premature infants who are delivered in non-hospital settings. The provider must prescribe the breast

pump and provide medical necessity documentation. The hospital or Durable Medical

Equipment (DME) provider files the claim with TRICARE. Equipment cost-shares may apply and are subject to TRICARE DME requirements.

TRICARE doesn't cover the following:

Manual Breast Pumps

Basic Electronic Breast Pumps

TRICARE won't cover the breast pump if it is used for reasons of convenience, even if prescribed by a physician. For example, the

mother uses the breast pump to save milk for the child so she can return to work. This information can be found in the TRICARE

Policy Manual 2008, Chapter 8, under Section 2.6." 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you in the military? The reason I ask is the base I am on I was told that there is a pump loan program. Active duty E6 and below working moms have priority and I think that is just great.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    A few bases have loaner programs for hosptial grade pumps.  When I had DS, we were at McConnell AFB.  They would loan a pump to any beneficiary.  The program was run through the Family Advocacy program in the Mental Health department.  Ask around at your MTF to find out if there is a similar program where you are. 
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imagehilwithonelary:
    A few bases have loaner programs for hosptial grade pumps.  When I had DS, we were at McConnell AFB.  They would loan a pump to any beneficiary.  The program was run through the Family Advocacy program in the Mental Health department.  Ask around at your MTF to find out if there is a similar program where you are. 

We had the same thing at Kirtland AFB, but it was through Women's Health.  You got the pump for three months, and at that point you had to renew your loan or return it.  I had mine for over a year, I just kept re-upping the loan.

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"