International Bumpies
Options

any canadians able to get breast pump coverage?

I don't think the government covers breast pumps, unless I'm wrong? but were any of you able to get coverage through extended insurance coverage?
TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary

Re: any canadians able to get breast pump coverage?

• Options
    A breast pump is not an allowable medical expense claim under the Income Tax Act, my understanding is most private insurance base their allowable expenses on what is allowed under the ITA. So I doubt you would fine a private health plan to cover it (mine won't). If you have provincial health insurance you can always check with them and I would call your private health plan too, just to make sure. 
  • Options

imagemary35699:
    A breast pump is not an allowable medical expense claim under the Income Tax Act, my understanding is most private insurance base their allowable expenses on what is allowed under the ITA. So I doubt you would fine a private health plan to cover it (mine won't). If you have provincial health insurance you can always check with them and I would call your private health plan too, just to make sure. 
    you're correct. My province doesn't cover. I had a $50 Avent manual that worked fantastic, for the very few times I actually needed it. The only time I has an electric was with ds 16 years ago when mat leave was still only six months and he was ep till one. I rented a hospital grade and it wasnt expensive. I guess I don't  see the point in getting an expensive one if you're on mat leave for a year. I still had a decent stash with the manual. I started my supply at six weeks. 

If its not in your budget start saving now. You won't need it straight away anyhow.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    for some reason, I thought pumps were super expensive, like $200, $400. I will be a SAHM, but would like to have bottles ready
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imagemary35699:

well...I just called my insurance provider and they cover 80%... so, yes, some insurance companies do cover it. 

• Options
    Thats great I am happy for you, I wish mine did (not that its an issue yet, but I am a planner).
  • Options
    both my and my husbands extended insurance covered it at 100% up to some 300-400ish limit, both the hospital grade rental for a month and the double electric i purchased after that (mine covered most and his picked up the rest).  Just needed a doctors note that it was necessary (i had to pump for twins).  
  • Options
    My insurance through work will cover 80% up to $300, with a doctors note.  MSI won`t cover it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"